Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

CKemu

Not sure if you'd count this as widefield or DSO...heh!

Shot with a Nikon D300, with an f5.6 300mm lens piggybacking on my Meade LX90.

This was my first non Moon shot, and whilst not exactly an entire constellation, or several, its wider than my telescope at Prime Focus lol!

I own a fisheye lens for the camera, and plan on doing 180 degree widefield shots once the weather has cleared up, and I've found a dark site to work from, as this was taken from the back yard in a light polluted city enviroment.

Apologies if this isn't wide enough! :(

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ckemu/5430775890/

M42 - The Great Orion Nebula - 90 x 10s (15 minutes) + 10 x 10s Darks | ISO 1250 | 300mm | f5.6

Edited by CKemu

thats a really nice shot, I wouldnt like to catagorise it either but its nice to have views at all zoom levels in my opinion, really helps you to see the context of the objects.

Is that a prime lens or zoom ?

Thanks! I'm not sure what to call it, possibly "Mid-Field"! Yeah I feel that its nice to get a sense of scale, though I'd love to do the equivilent area using either prime focus, or with something tighter like a 26mm plossi, it would possibly take months to shoot, and the image would be insanely large, but imagine the detail!

The lens is a zoom, 70-300mm f4-5.6 respectively.

Nice... I've been told I've done widefield images with a 600mm (FL) scope... so yes... wide field :(... This very much puts the neb into context and I like it.