Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The most impressive thing ?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends.

For an impressive view, it has to be M42 / 43. Nothing compares!

The most impressive thing i've ever found (ie the dimmest / most difficult) is probably NGC 1514 the Crystal Ball nebula or NGC 4596, a galaxy in Virgo that I thought was beyond my scope.

Trouble is, once you have found something for the first time, it is never as difficult again.

I'm a noob and am only just starting out properly, but so far;

Seeing the Aurora Borealis in Iceland a couple of years back, truely amazing, didn't care that I was lying down on the coast of Reykjavik in -6 degrees!

Just saw the sun through my scope and home made solar filter - amazing - lots of detailed sunspots!

Got my first view of the sun last week, it was amazing! Definitely gonna order some solar film. :(

Started off with a pair of binos which gave some nice views, 2-3 sunspots easily seen, then set up a mak 90 with solar filter. Unfortunately by then the sun was behind trees, but still gave pleasing views. :o

I order my 200p next payday, but the solar film will have to wait till next month :p

I like your filter BTW, very sturdy (especially the tethers to hold it in place).

I have a few.

Comet Hal Bop was the first real object to turn my head skywards. This has to be THE most influential moment in my whole life, sat waiting for the school bus with my friends... all of us fixated on that majestic comet in full daylight, shouting and cheering, wondering why it was in the sky with both tails choosing their own direction, almost fighting. No telescope, just me and my eyes.

Jupiter with bino's and then later in full close-up-detail with my old scope. Seeing the four moons was unexpected, and awe inspiring, especially since it had two moons either side of it in perfect symettry. Barely could glimps the 2 prominant cloud bands and the planet mostly looked like a rainbow blob but that didn't matter - I just saw a whole planet with my own eyes - They're Real!

M42

I spent years looking and seeing nothing but a star that seemed to be leaking into space, "not impressive" I thought. 2 weeks ago I was out on a superb clear night trying to find mars - and failing, so turned my scope to Orion and pointed at the nebula and for some reason my eyes looked at the darkness surrounding the leaking star instead of the leaking light ... and I saw it, A HUGE black cloud swirling in all directions surrounding hundreds of stars. At different magnifications I saw more and more detail. How had I missed this for so long? I even got out my OLD scope and pointed it at the nebula and there it was again! Superbly detailed! How I failed to look correctly in the past confuses me. When I finally started yawning I realised I had been stood outside for 2 HOURS!

fantastic night, and very recent. Never did locate mars.

Archived