Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSO Imaging equipment

Sierra Golf Mike

I have just started trying to image the moon and planets, as yet quite unsuccessfully due to the lack of a motor drive, but I intend to persevere. Anyway when funds allow I would like to get some sort of tracking and just wondered if the likes of an AZ Goto mount would be suitable for DSOs? Or would I be better saving my pennies for something more elaborate/expensive.

Cheers

An eq mount is better for DSO imaging as you would have to deal with field rotation with an AltAz mount.

For £90, the dual drives for your EQ3-2 would do to get you started. Not the best, but okay for the money IMHO.

Hi Steve.

Being interested in AP myself i would say the first thing you need is goind to cost you £20, a copy of "making every photon count". not having a clue about the dark art myself i found it very insightfull, goes through everything you'll need to get you on your way.

Good advice from Mark-mck there. A great book and well worth the money before delving into AP.

As Rik says the dual drives can get you going but if you seriously get into AP you will want to get a rock steady mount which will be future proof, allowing you add the kit you need as and when you develop.

The honest truth is simply that the minimum mount is the HEQ5 with autoguider.

There you have it, in my view. Not cheap till you look at the price of an AP, Takahashi, Gemini, 10 Micron, etc etc...

The mount is number one in imaging without any doubt whatever. Camera next and optics last. Of course, the best of everything would be nice...

Olly

HEQ5/NEQ6 Ouch!!! It ain't gonna happen unfortunately. I kinda had a feeling it was going to be expensive. I think it may be the motors for the EQ3/2 at some point and be content with lunar and planetary imaging. Then when I've cracked that, maybe if my Lottery numbers come up a good mount.

Thanks for the input guys.

Cheers

Sometimes you have to make do with the funds and sky conditions you have available.

A big mount with guiding is a great help, and necessary for getting 'good' images, no question. In fact I am saving for an HEQ5 right now, but my point is you don't 'need' a big mount straight away.

I knew it would take me over a year to save for an HEQ5. Okay, I could save £90 after 1 month, so bought the motors for my EQ3-2. Now I can play at imaging for a whole year while waiting for funding for a real mount. My images aren't in the same league as these other guys, but I am playing the same game and for now I am happy.

Archived