Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Yeoman

New binoculars make things look far away...

Advice please...

I have just bought some new Pentax binoculars from FLO..they look great..and seem to be built very well

The only thing is they make things look much further away and the eye pieces are far far too big for my eyes and much too far apart..

Nothing in the instructions can anyone help ?

Not meaning to be cheeky - but are you sure you're looking through the correct end?

Binocs only make stuff look further away when you have them the wrong way round. You should look through end with the small eyepieces (diopters).

Binocs are hinged so you should be able to squeeze them together for the correct distance between your eyes :(

Do I detect leg-pulling here? "What kind of flash do I need to photograph the moon?"

As Father Ted tried to explain to Father Dougal:

...OK, one last time. These are small... but the ones out there are far away. Small... far away... ah forget it!

...OK, one last time. These are small... but the ones out there are far away. Small... far away... ah forget it!

Voted the best Fr. Ted episode ever.

I had this problem too, i think my eyes are too small for the lenses. If you bend over and hold the binoculars between your legs upside down while looking through the opposite end of the binoculars it works ok. It makes it more difficult to manoeuvre but the results speak for themselves.

D'ohhhh..... looks like I've been suckered here hahaha! :(

Good one! But keep looking over your shoulder now lol :)

Oh I do hope this is a wind up, if not we should not mock the afflicted. I would send them back and ask for a smaller pair :(:)

Well everyone knows Pentax just make cheap rubbish - tell you what pay for my petrol and I'll come take them off your hands and save you a drive to the council tip.

I cant say fairer than that can I :(

Well everyone knows Pentax just make cheap rubbish - tell you what pay for my petrol and I'll come take them off your hands and save you a drive to the council tip.

I cant say fairer than that can I :icon_eek:

Hi A-B,

My wife has bought a pair of Pentax 26X60s for my birthday

on Wednesday, you might as well pick them up as well if they

are that bad. i am to old to stand with my head between my

legs anyway.

mijijimhttp://stargazerslounge.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

better than having father jacks wheelchair on manual or automatic?

for the unenlightened, automatic had a dangling bottle of whiskey in front, that father jack would try to push himself towards...therefore driving the wheelchair forwards automatically ;)

All I can say is, if you have that much touble with bins, don't ever try a Newtonian reflector - you'll never figure that one out! ;)

Dan

Advice please...

I have just bought some new Pentax binoculars from FLO..they look great..and seem to be built very well

The only thing is they make things look much further away and the eye pieces are far far too big for my eyes and much too far apart..

I've got a pair just like this. I was going to dump them until one day, by accident, I tried them the wrong way round. You won't believe this but .... they were actually better!!! I know it sounds crazy. Try it - just don't let anyone see you or you'll look a real fool.

Which begs the question: Do tiny animals on a microscope slide look up through a microscope and get a clear view of the moon? ;)

Cheers

Ian

Advice please...

I have this superb British-made telescope (with a clock drive to the RA axis) that you can have in exchange for your binocular and, shall we say £800:

junkscope.jpg

don't ever try a Newtonian reflector

Too late, Dan -- he already did:

doral.jpg