Grr still everything seems off

I'm thinking about giving up all together on goto because I think either I'm stupid or my xtg computer is defective. All of it's suggestions of where to find objects are vastly off, I've got correct gps and time zones and time. Yet I can't get it to find or identify anything. Please someone tell me what I'm not doing?

I've just got a Synscan AZ goto and for the first 4 times it worked perfectly, then all of a sudden it was way off. I checked my GPS and date and tried again and again. Still no joy. I also noticed that my choice of alignment stars had changed-it didn't list Rigel and some other "Winter" stars.Then it clicked I'd put in the date in UK format DD/MM/YY, rather than American format MM/DD/YY.Problem solved- hope yours is as simple- it is REALLY easy to miss things like this.

The other night I setup my Syncan goto in a hurry and didn't use a level on the tripod. 2 star alignment seemed to go OK but when I asked the scope to go to a new target the results were way out of position especially at higher mags. Levelling and lining up carefully before use is tedious but it seems to make a huge difference.

Good luck!

Might be obvious but it's my (maybe simplistic) understanding that your GoTo is only as good as your Polar alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may have completely forgotten or misunderstood, must it be pointed north when I enter the Lat and Long?

Saying you have things right is one thing but unless everything is written down on a post no-one can be sure what has gone in.

I don't mean what you remember/think/are sure you entered but get the data out of the scope and copy it to here.

Everything means every little bit and also what you did.

Im sure it will be something simple. The most common thing (mistakes I made) was putting the date in the wrong format (as Donkeiller said) or even putting the long and lat in the wrong way round.

Go out, try it all again, write down exactly what you did and entered into the mount and let us know.

A friend got an altaz goto scope befor Xmas and it took some practice and experimentation to get it to work well..... The accuracy with which you level, north align, star align etc will affect the final performance. Make sure you know how to sync the scope on easy objects to help it refine its alignment. I agree that when it doesn't work goto can be amazingly demoralizing, but when it works you find stuff a lot more easily, then you can practice observing, rather than practice finding things ( which can be hard under light pollution and when you are starting off)

Keep withnit, you'll crack it

PEterW

I've had similar things on my goto. You must have the scope in the correct parked position before turning on the synscan unit.

Point the mount in a northerly direction with the N facing North. If you have an EQ mount you need to place the weigh bar in line with the N on the tripod leg. You need to have the DEC motor on the same side of as the connection sockets on the RA housing, and have the scope also in line with the pole finder (as if pointing North). Turn on the Goto unit and run through the settings entering your correct long / latt settings (google is helpful here). You should then be able to select an object from the list and the mount should slew to more or less the position where the object can be found.

Obviously when at the observing site you should of polar aligned the mount first before performing the above actions. I guess the same would follow for an alt-azi goto, but you will need to read the manual for the correct parked position so the computer has a basic reference point to start the start alignment procedure

See if that helps

Edit: - basically a picture helps !

newexplorer150peq3pro.jpg

Basically you want to start with the scope in this position -pointing North

Ok just looked at your signature as see you have a Goto Dob

image002.jpg

So obviously the park position will be different. I've not used a Dob but guess that there is some marker on the turntable (alt) that needs pointing North, and the tube could be pointing horizontal or vertical.. I don't know.

I did find this "review" that might help Orion SkyQuest XT10g GoTo Dobsonian First Impressions - Review

Archived