Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
daz

NexStar GT Aliging Advice

Santa brought MiniDaz a NexStar 114 GT for Crimbo, and I'm just after some alignment advice - i.e. which stars have people used, same side of the meridian or across it?

We have the choice of a Quick align (point north), Two Star Align or Auto Align. I guess I favour the two star, but open to experts!!

Of course, it all hangs on getting some flippin' clear skies at some point in the next millenium!! :)

Hi Daz , yes 2 star the best to go really , i always take one in the east or northeast and one south or south west , only use 3 star for more accurate go to to over come cone error,

Rog

Thanks Rog

I'll see what options we get, when we get it out (next year!!!)

Think the main thing is to try to avoid stars which are too close together. more than 90deg apart should be fine

Hi Daz

i was'nt ignoring your question about being your sister!! New to Forums, Telescopes, Astrophotography, Computers etc,etc,(oh god maybe I should just give up now).

I assume you have a sister called Trudie, Its taken me this long to work out how to reply to you on that question!!

I have a Nexstar130 bought as a pressie in November and as a complete novice I managed to do 3 star alighnment and once I worked out the name of 1 star tried alighning on that only SUCCESS!!

Mind you that was on almost the only clear night since November.

Regards

I assume you have a sister called Trudie, Its taken me this long to work out how to reply to you on that question!!

I do and don't worry - it was more of a jape rhetorical question!!

My son is going apoplectic at the weather - just unbelievable. Three times we have starting aligning under a clear(ish) sky and three times the clouds have driven us inside!!!

Thanks for that link exjet - checking out now :D

Daz, using the SLT mount I always try to use Betelgeuse first, swing across to Mizar, then back to Sirius. If I use the 10mm EP, I never get an align fail.

Can't do 3 Zog!

Thanks for that link Gordon :D