Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

astrophotography

Hi Folks, my name is Trudie, I am very new to stargazing, however have always had an interest. With Xmas + a birthday I got a Celestron 130SLT and laptop. i would like to have a go at photography, whats the cheapest way to start?

We have 2 digital cameras (don't know if that helps or not).

I posted this question in the welcome page and got some replies,(very helpful). It was suggested I ask the question in this forum.

Seems to me I have an awful lot to learn!!!

Regards and Thanks

Trudie

Hi Trudie . i did send you a PM just outlining a few things on the scope , but the cheapest way ,opens a large can of worms , first off , what do you want to take , Moon ,Planets Star Clusters , or DSO,s deep sky objects, , if its just the moon to start with then A focal , holding the camera over the eyepeice can give you very pleasing results , no real extra cost for you there . if PLanets and closer images of the moon , then a web cam , like the Toucam pro 2 , this is a lovely camera giving super images , for DSOs ,well thats another story , a modded web cam , to allow long exposures is what you need, or a true ccd camera , DSLR are also good for most all images, but do require longer exposures to capture faint objects , they are ideal for the moon , and wide field imaging, but have to say a web cam is alot easier to use ,

Rog

Hi guys, we have a Minolta dimage S414, plus a Nikon coolpix 5700, I did get your PM thanks. Looking to start with easy to find things (Moon, saturn etc.) Someone has suggested a Logitek quickcam messenger!!! YES OR NO. Sorry really do not have a clue!

Folk tend to use the ToUcam cos of it's CCD chip which is better for astrostuff than the CMOS chip you get in other webcams like the Logitech Quickcam - there are probably other reasons too but I'll leave those to the experts. HTHS. The results from ToUcam users here are WELL cool 8)

As Rog suggest it's worth trying what you have before spending more. A few here have Nikon cameras of a similar type to yours and judging by their images I'd say yours is worth a try! Just point it down the eyepiece of the scope at the moon. Put a moon filter in the nose of the eyepiece and give it a go (keep yer hands steady though) - have fun :)

Logitek quickcam messenger!!! YES OR NO

I'd have to say no Trudie.

Get the Philips if you can, it's known to work well for

astro phtography, there is an adaptor to fit it in your focuser available and later on you can get it modified to

take long exposure shots.

A Philips Toucam will give you some great images of brighter planets and the moon. There's a bit of a learning curve but lots of support available here. A good plan for the year is to enjoy the visual stuff, learn the sky a bit and do some solar system imaging. Leave the DSOs for a few months until you are getting the hang of things and will then be better able to decide the best way forward.

THANKS a lot, at present I am having a problem locating a toucam, I found at least 1 website that said they were no longer available, any suggestions, this is very frustrating as we have our second reasonably clear night, something I have not seen too much of since I got the scope in November !!!

thanks one and all, I will be pleased if I can get photos like that. !!!

The adaptor I will need I assume I need to get that from celestron dealer who will advise ?

in the mean time going to give the digital cameras a go.

Regards

Trudie

Archived