SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Red Dot Finder

Hi everyone,

This might be a silly question but one I thought I'd better ask before I part with my hard earned cash :D

I was considering purchasing a red dot finder to help me align my scope up better and to save a bit of time but my wife came up with a bit of a puzzler. As we live under the flight path of Northolt Airport would I be able use a red dot finder? :(

As my wife worked for several years over at Heathrow, she seemed to think that shining a laser in to the sky potentially at aircraft was not a good idea and that I could be arrested :)

Can anyone tell me if they have any knowledge or experience of this conundrum, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

On another note finally got some clear sky tonight and had massive enjoyment looking at lots of clusters and the moon ;)

Hi Hullabaloo, red dot finders don't use a laser but LED's that project onto to a reticule a bit like a head up dispaly so it is superimposed on the night sky. So there is no issue with what you say.

You may be thinking of the action film red dot finders you see on guns, not the same thing

Hullabaloo,

Don't feel silly. I thought the same but presume that the reticule prevented the laser going any further. Never knew it was an LED.

But, having just come in and warmed up, I am currently considering changing to a finderscope because the red dot finder ruins my night vision. Especially when looking at fainter objects like Pleiades. I look though my RDF and by the time I think I'm on target I can barely make out a horizon! lol:o

Ye, when I got my first telescope I thought red dot and laser sights were the same!

It's all about learning so don't feel silly! Bet a huge majority of people on here have been caught out with this one!

I've got a Baader SkySurfer III red dot finder, it's cheap and does the job perfectly. Think it cost me around £18 plus P&P. There are better and more expensive red dot finders but have a look at this one anyway, doubt you'd be disappointed!

No such thing as a silly question. This forum is wonderful, as no matter how many times people ask similar questions, the responses are very patient and detailed. I guess in different hobby forums people would be mocked and made to feel daft.

I bet if 1 person asks a question, there are a 10 others that would like to know the answer.

Mike

I am just changing to a finderscope. I really don't get on with the red dot job. My skies are plagued with moderate light pollution and I find it hard to see all but the brightest stars on the finder screen. Anything of lower magnitude is invisible and I end up bobbing around trying to see the star with one eye and the dot in the finder with the other eye. Drives me nuts.

Archived