Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
trudie

hi i'm very new to this stargazing but am totally hooked I need advice re astrop

I got a Celestron 130SLT for xmas, and would love to have a go ay photography, but do not know where to start. Can someone advice as to the best and (cheapest) way to proceed, nice to meet you all.

Hi Trudie,

Nice to have you on board, sorry i don't do photography but I'm quite sure some of the lovely folk here will put you on the right path, mind you- you will need to get some clear skies before you can even think about recording it!

Gary

Hi Phil and welcome to SGL.

Probably the cheapest way into astrophotography is to get your self a webcam

this is asuming you have a laptop to work it with.

Should be able to pick up a webcam for around the £40 mark laptops cost much more :)

This will get you started with Lunar and Planetary imaging.

If you don't want to go down the laptop route then you have 2 choices left

Film SLR photography and digital photography.

Let us know what your preference is and we will gladly give any help we can.

Hi Jamie (and Gary) pleased to meet you both, Gary I do have a laptop (also a present to go with the telescope). Can I view what I can see through the scope on the laptop? (As you can probably tell I don't know loads about computers either but I'm learning!!! My other half has 2 digital cameras but unsure as to there use for this.

SGL welcome from me too :lol:

Jamie got you covered there alright, but if you got a mobile phone with a camera on it - for a fun taster - you can use it to take pics of the moon through the eyepiece :) You'll need to put a moon filter in the eyepiece though. Have fun!

Thats one of the good things about webcam imaging is that

you can see "real time" what you are imaging.

The best "practical"webcam i can think of is the TouCam Pro II 840K

you should be able to get one for around £40 + the price of the scope

adapter £15-£20.

Welcome Trudie to SGL, where you will learn things that you dont yet know about, and get advice on things you need to buy with money that you haven't yet inherited.

Captain Chaos

Hi Trudie

Welcome to the forum :)

I would agree with the advice given, a webcam would get you plenty of

practice imaging the moon and Saturn.

If you can afford it, this one is the best camera for the job.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-900NC-Pixel-Webcam-Notebook/dp/B000BEY4DE/sr=8-23/qid=1167982971/ref=sr_1_23/203-9854842-9526349?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

What model cameras has your other half got?

Hi Trudie , welcome to the forum , plenty of advice here for you , maybe go to the equipment section on here ,for a more in depth discussion on whats the best way foward for you , just ask any questions , you will be bombarded with replies,

welcome once again

Rog

:)

Hello to everyone, and thank you for your advice, I am probably getting ahead of myself with the photography bit, but I've always been a bit impatient. Is my scope up to the task. Phil has a Nikon 5700 and a Minolta Dimage S414.

Hiya Trudie,

You are never going to be stuck for answers, unless you don't ask the questions of course.

There's a wealth of knowledge waiting for you amongst this crew.

Welcome to SGL.

Barkis. :D