Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best value wide angle eyepieces?

Moonfish ep's get a good review and I have read that they work well at F5, not sure where you would get one from in the UK. Other than that I use a Skywatcher Nirvana 28mm eyepiece in my F4.7 Dob and it is excellent FLO sell them for £245

Moonfish ep's get a good review and I have read that they work well at F5, not sure where you would get one from in the UK. Other than that I use a Skywatcher Nirvana 28mm eyepiece in my F4.7 Dob and it is excellent FLO sell them for £245

Unfortunately the Moonfish 80deg is possibly the worlds worst eyepiece at F5......we are talking real ugly field of view. :( Great at F10 though, good for the SCT.

Nirvana is a really nice eyepiece for the money. Almost a Nagler for a lot less.

I was in this Dilemma not too long ago.....After lots of research and lots of help from members here i had narrowed it down to....

1.Skywatcher Panaview 2" 32mm

2.Adler optic Skarp 2" 32mm

3.Williams optics SWAN 2" 33mm

I didnt want to spend too much either, but also i didnt want to have to compromise....In the end i went for a 32mm TeleVue Plossl...Its been a fantastic eyepiece.....:(

There is a saying:

"cheap / wide angle / works really well in fast scopes - pick any two"

I'd agree 100% with Russ on the Moonfish - I used to have the Japanese Widescan III that the Moonfish was a clone of and even that one was poor in scopes faster than F/7.

Personally I think the Nirvana's that Chris mentions perform very well - near premium performance at about 60% of the price of brands like Tele Vue.

I've also been impressed with the Skywatcher Aero ED wide angles.

I've not got any but the Baader Hyperions are meant to be good. At £90ish they're not cheap but a lot cheaper than some of the alternatives. The FOV isnt as wide as others (68 degress) but wide enogh for many. They also give a range of focal lengths with the fine-tuning rings.

Tom

Meade SWAs (search "wide fishes") from astroshop.eu

Explore Scientific 82° eyepieces from US dealers who ship to the UK (e.g. Meade Telescopes, Celestron Telescopes and Telescope Accessories - OPT Telescopes, which uses UPS to ship things rather than USPS->ParcelFarce if you select the correct shipping option). The models up to 14mm are only $99 (plus shipping, 4.2% import duties and VAT).

Moonfish ep's get a good review and I have read that they work well at F5

Have checked what I read, it was a thread on the forum from 2006 and the contributor who said it worked well at F5 is a banned user so maybe we can take what he said with more than a pinch of salt. Ignore what I said about the Moonfish.

How about a Televue Panoptic 27mm ep, currently £266 at Telescope house but starting on Feb 9th they have 20% of making them real good value for money.

The Meade UWAs are 82 degrees, but not much cheaper than Naglers over here. I am intrigued by the 85 deg Carl Zeiss 30 mm sold by APM. They are slightly weird-looking EPs, having been removed from some Carl Zeiss instrument and converted to 2" mount. They are about 65% of the cost of a Nagler. They may be an older Zeiss design, so they may not match a Nagler performance-wise, but even older Zeiss kit is usually very good.

I've not got any but the Baader Hyperions are meant to be good. At £90ish they're not cheap but a lot cheaper than some of the alternatives. The FOV isnt as wide as others (68 degress) but wide enogh for many. They also give a range of focal lengths with the fine-tuning rings.

Tom

I second this - I just bought the 17mm hyperion and a 28mm extension ring which turns it into a 10.8mm. Took it out last night and in my f/5 scope it is fantastic - sharp almost to the edge - but what really blew my socks off is that £9 for the ext ring gives you a 10mm which performs just as well. Even more, you can unscrew the bottom element and it becomes a 22mm! Only trubs is I cant achieve sharp focus on that one, but that's just a spacer mod away...

Archived