Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Clear skies???

Gottzi

I'm in south Suffolk, not so far away. Last night was great, I was up until 4am. I found M81/M82 at last, and I got to try out my new orthoscopics on Saturn. Tonight looks like it is going to be even better, just need another pint of coffee...

Last night looked stunning, but I couldn't get out there! Fingers crossed tonight will be good, but the forecasts seem to be suggest the cloud will roll over by about 9pm...

Even so, I'm whipping the scope out so to speak right now!

Early this morning (4-30am Tuesday) I had the C11 out ready with all systems go for my first stab at imaging Saturn. Just as I'd got the camera, filterwheel and tracking up and running, a thick fog appeared from absolutely nowhere. Having seen the John Carpenter film, I abandoned the session and beat it indoors as I know it's always the geek/astronomer that gets it first.

Is it safe to come out now?

It fantastic here right now! Problem is 'here' is Switzerland for work, 800 miles from me stuff! :( Got an eyeful of beautiful constellations walking back from dinner just now, just a little too much LP to see any naked fuzzies parts from M42 and M45. Its a nice spot though...enclosed a real astro image...Venus (just) over Mt Blanc at Sunrise this morning...HTC touch smartphone post-19862-133877529066_thumb.jpg

Hello, I'm in Devon and last evening's promised clear skies did not manifest. Not a chance here tonight - heavy rain - very usual weather here in sunny Devon!

Your photo looks great Ian; I have to ask you what type of work takes you to Switzerland. Of course, I'm being nosey! I'm usually in Switzerland on the back of a motorcycle.

Tim

Last night it cleared for me about 10pm, but what with it being a school night that was too late for me.

Tonight it looked lovely until 8:30, then wall to wall cloud.

I've forgotten what the inside of my eyepiece case looks like :(

Managed 2 get a couple of hours of good seeing hadn't planned my night so it was just me in the garden with the scope, no books, computers or anything else. Spent most of the time just viewing the sky aimlessly marvelling at the scale of it all. Quick look at M42 the Moon. Then half an hour of naked eye, learning more constellations, thoroughly enjoyable will plan better for next time. Whenever that will be.

Your photo looks great Ian; I have to ask you what type of work takes you to Switzerland. Of course, I'm being nosey! I'm usually in Switzerland on the back of a motorcycle.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Its only a smartphone photo for fun but thanks anyway.

Well my (British owned) company is based there but unbelievably I make a living helping other companies make better....toilet paper:eek: I'm a papermaking chemist, it's a weird sort of job :( but has kept me in toys and lots, (and I mean lots!) of travel for the last 20 years. Current big TP market is China, you can guess the rest.

But I love Switzerland by bike as well, just that the pedals on mine and my wife's have to be turned with a bit less than 1 HP.

Clear Skies

Ian

Archived