SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First deep sky image - M42 of course

vds

Morning all

Tried DSLR imaging for the first time last night. Canon D550 through a Meade 8" LX90. 4x15sec exposures stacked in deep sky stacker and tweaked in photoshop.

I'd appreciate comments.

I guess more subs, longer exposure time next?

post-23980-133877528714_thumb.jpg

vds

Second try at this. Same setup, but this time a total of 15min exposure time. Wanted to do more but the autostar controller on my scope has a habit of sulking when cold.

post-23980-133877529181_thumb.jpg

Got a better field of view this time.

vds

I also tried DSLR imaging for the first time this week with my 450D through my CPC800 Alt/Az. This single shot of M42 was 25 secs at ISO1600.

Biggest problem I find is focussing as at ISO1600 (the max on the 450D) I can see no image either LiveView or through the viewfinder and I had to keep taking images and adjusting the focus until I got it right. Is there an answer to this?

post-15075-133877529403_thumb.jpg

Ronj

Not sure if you meant my Trapezium or Ronj's Olly, and I have to confess mine is a bit of a cheat as I had to use a photoshop gradient mask to layer in a short exposure for them.

When I try to track for more than 30 secs I end up throwing a lot of subs away because of movement. Hope to try for an hour or so of exposure next time I attempt this.

vds

Mine was at the CPC800's FR of F10. 25 secs is about the max and in other areas of sky 25 secs is too much. The penalty of alt/az. I am aware of Olly's view on that and I have to say the cost of a wedge is difficult to justify when the results may still not be great, although I see many good images taken on a wedge especially from the US where fork mounts seem to be pretty popular.

Conumdrums (financial and theoretical) all round!

RonJ

Archived