Narrowband

SGL6 - Chat Thread

Helen

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hehe just wrote a little Mac utility that means I will not need to tape red acetate to the screen :D Toggles the desktop between normal and red only!

Fitted the lantern with red acetate too.. next up is the torch and then off for the week's food shop!

Just a heads up for those who may of thought about bringing the rods along and doing a spot of fishing on the river... I've checked with the site and they operate a Closed Season until June 15th - Less luggage to bring then !

This is my camping list!

TO DO BEFORE

Find location co-ordinates

Set Polaris transit point?

Charge batteries

Check tent!

Clear camera cards

TELESCOPE CHECKLIST

Mount

Tripod

Weights

Eyepieces

OTA

Finderscope

Tube rings

Mounting plate

Accessory tray

Hand control (go-to)

Power source – BOTH PARTS!

EQUIPMENT

Scope and accessories!!

Red cellophane

Screw drivers (for collimation)

Jotter pad and pen

Tent Mallet

Camp table – with a rim so stuff doesn’t fall off!

Cover for scope – one that can be secured in windy weather

Stool - for midgets like me to stand on when the eyepiece is a bit high!

Power pack

Camping chair + recliner

Red light torch

Thick floor roll or blow-up mattress – with foot pump preferably

Head torch

Good-quality sleeping bag

Allen keys

Duvet

Watchmaker’s screwdriver

Lamp for tent

Pale sheet – I put under scope in case I lose something small!

Camping stove? – can’t do without my tea!

Gardener’s kneeling pad – for polar aligning

Cooler for food?

Spirit level (and compass for us beginners!)

Golfing brolly

Car hairdryer

Pillow

Batteries for anything!

Sellotape

Camera: body, lens, T-ring, filters, card reader?, cable, charger

Elastic bands

Extra battery and card for camera

Mobile phone & charger

Star map or planisphere

Laptop, cables, mouse, mouse mat

Glasses chord – for those who wear glasses so you don’t have to keep putting them down!

General extension lead

Camping extension lead (with integral RCD)

Marker pen

Alexxx

Spent the day washing a rather dirty motorhome. Couple of repairs and filled the water tanks to the brim!

Kit is ready to load, just need to make sure I bring clothes!

Picking up some real ales and malt whiskies tomorrow!

Whatever the weather it is going to be a party!

Regards

Chris

Hi All,

Just to let our climbers know, I will be bringing some gear for sale which is in the for sale section.

Let me know if you are interested as I have it on another forum

Also have a Giottos MH 5001 tripod head and a couple of Nikon 2 x teleconverters in the for sale secion. All will be brought with me if not sold before.

Best regards

Chris

I'm so glad of my ickle VW camper after looking at that weather forcast, oil filled rad = toasty warm and dryness.

Although Metcheck did forcast clear skies for me this evening 48hrs ago and its totally overcast now so we still have hope!

Hi Rob,

Interesting that. I wonder if it is how we interprete the forecast? I find Met Check to be more accurate than the BBC!

However, when Met Check get it wrong they are usually so way off that I reckon it is some bright spark having a laugh. I spotted -100+ degs over the cold spell!

I believe but cannot confirm that they get their information from the same sources.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Rob,

Interesting that. I wonder if it is how we interprete the forecast? I find Met Check to be more accurate than the BBC!

Chris

I reckon it might be because I live about 100 yards from the sea, in what seems to be a bit of a microclimate, making long range accurate prediction very tough.....the beeb get it right more than most though.

TBH...I don't take much notice of forecasts, I just look at Sat24 and see what's coming.

Hi,

Wednesday will be really wet according to both the BBC and Metcheck.

Looking at the EA Flood area maps I noticed that the campsite is on the map as a flood plain for the river.

Change the wellies for waders!!!

I was thinking of visiting a number of National Trust properties to stay warm and dry.

Cheers

Adrian

Yup BBC giving rain rain...and I think a bit more rain....I think I'll set up a collimation station in my tent :D I don't fancy putting the new tent up in the rain though :)

Never mind....at least I'll be in good company, I'll just have to adjust my rations to include more wine!

As a weather person for the last 20 years I can confirm spells of wet and windy weather UNTIL Friday when I am arriving.

I will bring with me a mild flow of air up from the Azores. Sunny spells for the prominences and clear spells for the cassini division and more importantly no rain after Friday morning through until I leave on Sunday!

See if I am better than metcheck or the met office!

Mark S from Bristol

Archived