Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hi

Before you start yes i know astrophotography doesnt work with dobs, i do know but i want to try and im mostly going to take images of the moon and videos of the moon and planets which i think is possible because of the light thrown off of them so wont need high exposures. Anyway i have the t adaptor and t mount for my canon Eos 7d. Went out tonight for the first clear night ive had in weeks and god it was just amazing. But i tried to use the camera mounted on the scope and nothing, i had it set to aboout 30" which is the lowest shutter speed i can get, i think it was 3.5 aperture to start with but i got it up to 16 and my ISO was at a range between 4000 to 12800. So was i doing something wrong or not only does astrophotography not work with dobs but doesnt work with newtonian reflectors? Please help :)

Thanks as always

Sammy

Totally the wrong settings for the Moon I'm afraid. Assuming that you achieved a good focus, try settings along the lines of:-

ISO = 100

Shutter Speed = 1/600

You can't set the aperture value when you are using a telescope so not sure what you managed to do there! You can take images of the Moon with a DOB.

Can I just add, I know its very good advice to suggest anyone primarily interested in serious astro photography should only consider an EQ mount, you can still get extremely rewarding pictures on AZ or even non tracking mounts. If you want to record what you have seen (not get into astro calendars), and dont mind working to overcome shortcomings you dont actually REQUIRE a specific mount, or indeed a specific camera.

Its just my view which I have sat on for a while because its clear EQ is better, but personally I dont think its absolutely required. The minimum requirement for astro photography is a sky, and a camera :(

Edited by kentronix

I have a dob and have taken great pictures of the moon and planets. However, I try and not to compare them to the masterpieces found on this forum since they just don't compare. I like taking pictures for my own observational journals. I have also tried taking shots of deep sky objects (knowing full well that this would never fare well).

I wish you clear skies Sammy!

Isabelle