Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moon through 10'' Dob. SW

digitalight

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks good,

As a newbie can I ask what camera settings etc?

Regards

Chris

Sure, I use a Pentax K20D DSLR. This is connected directly into the telescope in place of the eyepiece using a T adapter with Pentax mount.

The settings for the camera were 1/125 sec shutter speed. ISO set to 200. I set the camera to 2 sec timer so that it removes camera shake and locks the DSLR mirror up. The settings are trail and error really because with different phases of the moon your going to be using different setting because of the change in light.

Sure, I use a Pentax K20D DSLR. This is connected directly into the telescope in place of the eyepiece using a T adapter with Pentax mount.

The settings for the camera were 1/125 sec shutter speed. ISO set to 200. I set the camera to 2 sec timer so that it removes camera shake and locks the DSLR mirror up. The settings are trail and error really because with different phases of the moon your going to be using different setting because of the change in light.

Hi, That is great, thanks for the information.

Best regards

Chris

what WB metering did you use ? (spot?)

BTW cracking camera I have two of them :( and cracking picture. I havn't got my k20d hooked up yet as don't have the T mount yet !

should be in the post or so I am told !

what WB metering did you use ? (spot?)

BTW cracking camera I have two of them :( and cracking picture. I havn't got my k20d hooked up yet as don't have the T mount yet !

should be in the post or so I am told !

I think it was just set to auto WB. Good to hear from another fellow Pentaxian. K20D is an awesome camera!

Thanks all for your kind comments :)

WOW! That is a mind boggling image.

I didn't know that one could get any kind of image with a dob because of the movement thing. That DSLR must have exceptional sensitivity. I'm an old silver film shutter bug and never had any combo of film and lens speed that would allow me to get any images like that one.

Congratulations!!

WOW! That is a mind boggling image.

I didn't know that one could get any kind of image with a dob because of the movement thing. That DSLR must have exceptional sensitivity. I'm an old silver film shutter bug and never had any combo of film and lens speed that would allow me to get any images like that one.

Congratulations!!

A high ISO is not really need for the moon. The important thing I think is the amount of light. Because it's a 10'' mirror theres alot of light. The more light you collect the shorter your shutter speed, and therefore less movement and sharper picture ;-)

IMGP5434.JPG

I took another photo of the moon last night for my Lunar 100 project.

I'm also going to try and build up a collection of phases and combine them into a video.

Thanks again for your comments. I'm really enjoying getting back into astronomy. And with now a decent Skywatcher telescope I can't believe how much of a difference the optics make over Tasco and Seden which I have had in the past.

The skies are the limits ;)

I'm really pleased with how my latest pictures of the moon have come out. Getting sharper every session. :)

Check out link below

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-lunar/130242-moon-14-02-2011-a.html

• 2 weeks later...
How far have you got with the 100?

I used this site a while back but lost track (D'oh), so am looking forward to starting it again...

Lunar 100

Cheers

Mike

Thanks for the link. This looks much better than the pdf book I printed off. I highlight a few of the 100's that were suppose to be viewable when I was taking pictures so I could understand what I was actually seeing while at the scope. But at some point I was going to go through the pictures and work out where they are. The photos in this link will help greatly. :)

Archived