Narrowband

8" LX90 GPS or 8" LX200 GPS - What's the difference?!

i went with the lx200, and i'm stunned by it, i just popped in to the site to make sure i had found the right nebula and wasnt imagining it...it turns out tonight is a good nigt and the lx200 is not letting me down, if you decide on one i can tell you from my experience you wont be unhappy!

I have the LX 90 and I asked the same Question, I couldn't justify the extra cash for the LX200 . First outing with it tonight and I'm very impressed with it.

They have the same optics but the LX200 has a better mount. It is is more solid and has more sophisticated electronics, though whether this matters is questionable. Both mounts will give nice results visually and are good for fast frame camera planetary imaging. Many people I know have struggled and failed to get them to perform as deep sky imaging rigs. I certainly failed though some manage it. If the difference turned the LX into a reliable imaging platform the extra would be well worth it but if it doesn't then you might feel the economising was worthwhile.

They do depreciate very fast so you could always see if it is the instrument for you by starting second hand. I suspect that when folks move into AP they prefer a different kind of scope and mount altogether. I kept mine for planetary and double star observing though I changed the mount.

Olly

Thanks guys, the lx90 is GPS GOTO. 5yrs old for £850, what do you think? Is this a reasonable buy. As I'm not sure what I'll be doing most of I thought I'd try SCT second hand and if I really get interested in imaging maybe have a rethink then as nothing seems to do both.

bit high, but you got to take in the fact lots of people have started this hobby recently

so prices are going to be up. from what i know the lx90 dosnt have the microfocus

(if you get into astrophotography you will probly want to replace anyway) the object database in the lx200 is higher and the lx90 mount isnt self levling.

Glen

The LX90 and the LX200 have identical folk mounts ...

There are a number of distinct differences between the LX90 and LX200 mounts. Essentially the LX200 has higher build quality, better specification and is aimed at those with an interest in both visual and imaging.

Olly's post sums them up nicely.

Hope that helps.

I use both and you're hard-pressed to tell the difference (as Olly said - they have the same optics); truth be told, unless you're operating them at their limits. I'd go for the LX90 and save the dosh. If you're aiming for serious astrophotograpy then there are better options.

But for a nice mix of visual and occasional picture taking - the LX90 is brilliant for what it is.

Mike

Just a remember that the LX90 is not as heavy as the LX200 if you intened to go to dark sites

and the are two LX90,s one has ACF and the other does not , about £200.00 difference as for the scope I think it's a great scope and would recommed it as for the tripod they are the same now mine is one year old and has the same tripod but not shore before 2010

Doug

Essex

Archived