Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tent heaters

JonH

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Most of the EHUs at PSP2011 are 16A but some may be split down to 8A.

Leccy space heating is very expensive - at PSP, leccy comes in £1 cards, each giving about 7kWh - a 2kW leccy heater running flat out (I think the Tesco one mentioned above can go up to 2kw) will run at over 8A on 230V (tripping an 8A supply) and use up 7.5kWh in just over 3 hours.

Much better to use a targeted, local electric heater (electric blanket would be ideal - typically about 100W max for a double size one) or a good, safe, gas heater.

My 2p.

Bearing in mind how much radiating heat is the enemy of good seeing - are having all these heated tents really a good idea!

Cheers

Ant

I was thinking exactly the same.

Tents don't keep heat in, so most of it will be rising into the air and anyone trying to image or observe over a tent radiating heat will have a poor time of it......take electric blankets and wrap up warm.

A whole campsite of tents with heaters blasting away won't be good.

On the power side of things, the general rule is roughly 4 amps per kilowatt in a 220/240v country.

A 3Kw heater will draw 12 amps, and the outlets at Lucksall have 16A sockets, but this doesn't mean that they are all capable of having a full load drawn off them....that depends on the main supply, length of cable supplying the sockets etc. Just 10 sockets at full load is 160A, and I very much doubt that the campsite has more than a 120A 3 phase supply, which means full draw on 21 sockets across 3 phases....not many really.

Go easy on the heaters!!! :):eek::o

Cheers

Rob

Just a thought, has anyone thought of bringing a portable hot tub??? Or is that going just a bit too far...yeah the steam would cause a problem....and you'd melt your jaffa cakes :o but you wouldn't need any lighting :)

35 sleeps and I can't wait....hope Neil doesn't mind me posting on his log in.....Andrea :(

One more note on the power, if you run a 2kW heater and a 3kW kettle at the same time it will trip the supply out and possibly take out several other pitches at the same time. This wouldn't go down too well if you took out a supply to someones imaging rig or reset the goto on someone's aligned mount.

So always remember at all times not to switch on a kettle and heater at the same time.

Regards

Kevin

Well I near froze to death last year, so this year I am bringing two sleeping bags and I have a nice new foam camp mat with a self-inflating mat to go on top. Might stick the electric blanket in the car just in case, but hope not to need it.

It wasn't cold last year ye bunch of jessies :rolleyes:

That's as may be Rob, but it's only because Amanda bought you an Arctic-proof baby-grow! You looked very fetching in it indeed, but unfortunately, they do not do Mrs. Michelin suits in my size. :eek:

However, perhaps I could purloin the odd 12v hair dryer to warm up my extremities, as I saunter around the camp...:)

Well I near froze to death last year, so this year I am bringing two sleeping bags and I have a nice new foam camp mat with a self-inflating mat to go on top. Might stick the electric blanket in the car just in case, but hope not to need it.

That's two of us coming from Gloucester. does that qualify as a society?

there is a thing called a "bivvy heater" runs on gas cartridge, nice and warm BUT, on the fishing forum i use there is a big thread running about these, just how safe are they, carbon monoxide and fire risk, a few years back an angler was fishing an essex lake and died as a result of carbon monoxide fumes

Yeah I'm worried a bit about the temps at the SSP in October too. Leccy blanket sounds a good idea and I'm moving to folding camp beds to keep off the ground. I don't know how thet will fit in the car as last year it was well full already.

I was also thinking, as I have a "summer tent" with a separate inner, Getting a few of those silver foil sheets (you know, the ones that fold up to nothing) and gaffer tape making an over tent for the inner bed area. Hopefully that might trap some heat in.

All for the missus of course. Ya know, if I was on me own!! (roll shoulders) :rolleyes::D

edit: By the sounds of it i'll need to bring a UPS too.

Has the ludicrously efficient hot water bottle had an airing on this thread? Like the umbrella it is a forgotten bit of technology that is worth a million IT gizmos, works, always works, costs nowt and... works!

I simply cannot believe that members of this forum would leave a lady with cold extremities, either.

Olly

That's funny. It was Boots that said they don't sell them anymore. Didn't look online though because it has to 'feel' right. Still, the Mrs ended up forking out for an electric blanket in the end. Called me a dinosaur she did...I don't know...

Archived