Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello From The American Soutwest

Skylook123

Hello Jim and welcome! I also live in Arizona (southwest Phoenix area). I just moved here and have not yet joined a club. The skies are great though!

Any suggestions on which club to join? I sure would love to go to a Star Party at the Grand Canyon. :)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How I envy you,...

I was in Arizona two years ago where I had the best time in my life. After hiking the Grand Canyon, I had a viewing session at the Lowell Observatory. To live there is a dream!

I went to Lowell also. It was a great experience. :(

Hello Jim and welcome! I also live in Arizona (southwest Phoenix area). I just moved here and have not yet joined a club. The skies are great though!

Any suggestions on which club to join? I sure would love to go to a Star Party at the Grand Canyon. :(

There are at least three very good associations to check into in your area: Saguaro Astronomy Club (SAC), East Valley Astronomy Club (EVAC), and the Phoenix Astronomical Society (PAS). I've worked with all three, mostly with SAC and EVAC which are each very active, hands-on observing clubs. SAC sponsors the All Arizona Messier Marathon in spring, while EVAC puts on the All Arizona Star Party in late Fall. Many people are members of both clubs. SAC also coordinates the North Rim segment of the Grand Canyon Star Party. All three clubs are great to observe and socialize with. Here are some links:

Phoenix Astronomical Society

Saguaro Astronomy Club

East Valley Astronomy Club

When I went, we were only four people. My husband, two astronomers from Lowell and myself. I had a great time and when I saw Saturn,... I cried (and I'm not ashamed to say it).

Isabelle

The first time I looked into the window of the observatory at that telescope, it looked like a big water heater tank!

I envy you! Although I've visited Lowell several times, I've never been able to get in to see the Clark. It is on my dream list!

Welcome Jim, hope you enjoy your stay with SGL, like to here a little more about the sidewalk astronomers,they sound amazing .:(

The San Francisco Sidewalk Astronomers was founded by John Dobson nearly 43 years ago. Rather than paraphrase their stellar history in public education and outreach, I'll provide a link to their web site. I will say that they founded the original Grand Canyon Strar Party many years ago. Their members would attend one of the National Parks and stay for many weeks, providing tremendous service to the public by not only providing views of the day and night skies, but also teaching classes and providing other guidance including teaching how to grind glass mirrors and build working reflector telescopes in a week. Then they would move on to another National Park. Eventually, this proved to be too much of a load to sustain, so the opportunity went dormant for some time. For the Grand Canyon, 21 years ago Dean Ketelsen renewed the service with three other astronomers for the first year. Now, it has grown to as many as 95 astronomers who take part for all or part of the week, with as many as 1000 visitors each night and a total contact population of 50,000 to 70,000. And we owe it all to John Dobson and the San Francisco Sidewalk Astronomers.

San Francisco Sidewalk Astronomers - Home

Yes, Mark, I am eagerly anticipating the annular eclipse in 2012. The path will extend from California across Nevad and Arizona into New Mexico. One advantage we have in Arizona is that much of the property is owned by the US Bureau of Land Management and is thus free for any and all to set up a telescope or even camp if they wish. The eclipse will be crossing many of the national and state parks, so we are in the beginnings of trying to see how we astronomers can help guide the public to appreciate the event.

When it comes time to visit San Francisco, consider a trip over to Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah. This is a park with astronomers in residence, headed by a Dark Ranger, and daily and nightly astronomical events. Astronomers are quite welcome, with incredibly dark skies at nearly 8000 feet altitude. This is one, there are many, many other places where one can stop for a few hours to a few weeks of enjoying the night sky. July through September are not good for weather, but the rest of the year is always in play. And don't forget the San Francisco Sidewalk Astronomers, who will drop down a telescope at a moments notice no matter what street corner is available.

Thanks Again!

Thanks Jim that is very helpful information. I have copied and pasted this info for future reference. You never know but we may meet up.

Regards

Mark

Archived