Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CLOUDS!!

AAaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrghh!!! had everything perfectly set up ... scope cooled off ... due shield fitted ... mount nice and level and tracking set up ... tested it on a few objects, and despite not perfect viewing got some cracking views of M42 and M31.

Why are you shouting you might ask? ... WELL, since I have had my scope this has been only the second time there has been any sort of break in the clouds and I am literally dying to bag my first planet! The sky was too cloudy earlier to even see the moon which was a bit disappointing however it had cleared nicely and bagging Saturn looked like a real possibility ... I came inside to get a few things sorted for work (fearing that once I got going outside It might have been a late one!) 20 mins later and now I can't see a single star!! :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh I am soooo sorry,

This is 'chatham' and my fault as we bought scopes at Astrofest on Friday and they came with the free offer of two weeks free clouds :)

Unfortunately we were unable to refuse this generous offer!

Regards

Chris

Saw lovely crescent moon last night. Contemplated sticking the scope outside but then I saw the huge cloud bank looming on the horizon. Apart from a couple of very short breaks for a smidgen of solar observing, I haven't had the scope out properly at all since before Christmas. I'm bored of the grey colour now...

Rachel

i would'nt dare my scope outside in the 60k winds were getting right now, and after not seeing anything for the 2 weeks of owning my scope i was starting show interest in cloud formation and thought i may image one if there has been no break in the next 2 weeks. i think what makes it worse is this has to be one of the few new toys i have had to be realy patient with and i'm not good at twiddling my fingers.

Or an observatory in the garden?

Regards

Chris

Or, an apartment in Hawaii.....:)

Looking at met office reports should be in for a clear couple of nights here in Mansfield.

Can I please add another offender?

Wind!

Or should that be, gales..? :)

x150 mag is not a good prospect if it carries on like this.

I'm glad someone else is having cloud problems, I started to believe that my wife was cursing the skies, cause everytime I spotted clear skies and told her I was going out to stargaze, whollop, clouds appeared!!:)

Same clouds here in south-eastern Finland too, it has happened too many times this winter. I think grab and go is not fast enough, should be grab and run model. I have named my telescope PCM, perfect cloud magnet. First of february i tried to take some pics of horsehead. Get my PCM cooling.. no clouds, setup and guiding took 40mins. No clouds. Horsehead in camera, i got one test picture to be sure of position. No clouds. And when i was ready to pick up photons, big gray monster fly from south and covered sky. Maybe next time.

I've managed 3 nights viewing in a month. Just out of interest, those of you who've been doing it for years (and hopefully keeping records) how many nights per year, on average, do you get cloud free, and how many of those are good viewing?

Jupiter in the bag people! :) wasn't the clearest night but I could see it pretty clearly and make out the moons perfectly! The moon was an awesome sight!! The scope is still outside and I can't help peeking out my window for a glimpse of saturn rising! sky still looks pretty clear :)

Archived