Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What skywatcher newt is D=150mm F=750mm?

I personally wouldn't purchase a pre owned one due to the sensitivity of the mirror and how easily damaged it can become! if there's not a huge difference in price for a new one then id strongly recommend purchasing it new! :)

I personally wouldn't purchase a pre owned one due to the sensitivity of the mirror and how easily damaged it can become! if there's not a huge difference in price for a new one then id strongly recommend purchasing it new!

The mount in the photos isn't an EQ2. Looks more like the 3. Based on the scale compared to the mount that would make the tube a 150 (the f5 is quite 'dumpy')

The finder scope is a mismatched colour and not fitted correctly and it needs a thorough dusting, could indicate it's not been well cared for.

The mount in the photos isn't an EQ2. Looks more like the 3. Based on the scale compared to the mount that would make the tube a 150 (the f5 is quite 'dumpy')

The finder scope is a mismatched colour and not fitted correctly and it needs a thorough dusting, could indicate it's not been well cared for.

Thats my take on it too. Certainly looks like an EQ3-2 mount, definately a non-standard finder (easy to replace though).

The key thing is what state the mirrors are in - the outside looks like it needs a clean - hardly "immaculate" :)

It's one of those ones where I'd want to see the scope for real and have a good look over it before making the purchasing decision.

R&P focuser?... ummm... find the door marked "exit" asap.

If the seller doesnt know what it is, then its a good bet that its not been well looked after.

Just because the user doesn't know what R&P means doesn't mean that it's not been cared for. This is just jumping to assumptions.

It's clear that this person has no idea of what their selling so who ever buys it is buying at their own risk. This said, I and thousands of others have bought second hand scopes and mirrors from ebay and here second hand with no issue. Some have had issues, but that is the nature of either misreading the description or an error on the listers part.

Either way, chances are, it'll be useable but why bother with that when similar comes up on this forum every now n then. Also would be worth checking astro buy n sell.

It's academic now but it looks like the old style 150P on an old style EQ3 or 2.

I'd quite happily purchase a second hand scope from a forum member and have done in fact. I'd be more wary about eBay though and would certainly want to collect it in person (or have it delivered by the original owner) as mirrors and fittings can be quite delicate.

Anyway, if you have a £100 budget you can pick up a brand new Celestron 130mm Newtonian on an equatorial mount from Amazon: Celestron Astromaster 130EQ: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Thanks for the heads up.

I can stretch to a little more than £100 but can't ignore a possible bargain!

What about these two..

A SW explorer 150PL on an eq3-2 for £150

or

A Nigel Wakefield 8" Dob, also £150

Both cash on collection so I get time to inspect and decide.

Not on ebay(!)

Which would you buy, all things being equal?

The Wakefield dob's were pretty crude and are rather old now (like 15+ years old). I would not risk that one. Sorry Nigel if you are reading this.

The 150PL sounds promising. Probably worth a look.

Both are quite big scopes... I would get either:

17x50 binoculars + sturdy tripod and save cash.

Or wait for a 150P (6") deal (I have one that I might be selling in the future as I imagine others may do once the new f/4 imaging newtonians come out) or a 200P (8") Dobsonian.

But that's just me :(

I personally

wouldn't purchase a pre owned one due to the sensitivity of the mirror and how easily damaged it can become!

Except, of course, that they come all the way from China originally! They are more robust than you think. Collimation might be out, but that's a quick fix.

Most if my scopes have been second hand with no problems.

Ebay isn't the terrible place some think it is. There are bargins to be had and, if you stick to the better makes, there are lots of good scopes to be had.

It was me ,

I bought the scope and can say the dust is because it has been in the garage for a few weeks while house renovation were being done, The seller had bought it and used it and said he will be getting another scope but this was too big (his misses was nagging).

There are a few minor issues which I will remedy in time like rreplacing the rack and pinion focuser (I will be posting about this). And repairing the setting circles (when I know how to use them). The mirrors are in from what I can see very good condition. But since I have bought it there have been very heavy cloudy nights.

So sorry to pull the rug but so far Im happy with it.

Kev.

Archived