Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Full moon...

Caz

I know the full moon isn't all that interesting, it lacks character, but its the first one for me.

Don't worry, this will be the last one I bore you with.... :)

Taken with the Canon, using the frac this time, with x2 barlow, 6 half decent images stacked chosen from around 60 :oops:, its a headache going through all the images and picking the best, not sure on the iso, tried that many, and primed in ps...

image.jpg

Click to enlarge

I must make a Hartman mask. Why is focusing through the camera's viewfinder so bloomin' tricky, it always looks in focus to me, unless I need :)

Caz :lol:

Good shot Caz, you've got the focus sorted!! Have you thought about using the Toucam and a reducer with the 102 frac to get a similar FOV on the Moon? I'd guess it'd be easier that way but I know you want to get to grips with the Canon...

Toucam means, drives and the dreaded polar alignment, which I have to admit, haven't achieved yet! Plus, it means walking further down the bottom of the garden, where its dark, otherwise I can't see Polaris. I Feel safe by the house :) Saying that though, I'm itching to give the toucam a try, I'll wait till its wall the wall clear skies, then I'll jump in, not going to all those lengths for a game of cloud dodging.

Thanks for the feedback chaps.

Caz,

For lunar/planetary shots you can bodge the polar aligning, just nip down the garden, check where Polaris is and then just setup the mount near your house as close as you can in a straight line with Polaris.

As your target moves out of position due to the errors in alignment you can adjust and keep it your FOV using the motors. When you process Registax automatically won't use the frames where you are making the adjustment as they will be of a poor quality. It's like trying to keep a clay pidgeon on in the sights of a gun, it's pretty easy TBH.

Gaz

That's a real nice full moon Caz 8)

Credit to you for nailing it after the dissapointments and frustrations of the other

night. Try and try again should be our motto. :)

Oh, and don't be afraid of wondering to the bottom of the garden in the dark,

there are no nasty beasties lurking there, well not as far as we know :shock: :lol:

Caz, you are better off not getting the polar alingnment spot on for toucamming the moon. The stacking sorts out the image drift once you have it near enough, and the movement makes any dust bunnies fade away during procesing as the wander over the lunar surface.

You could go Mightymonoped style and do it undriven as well, he's getting ace results with an Alt Az mount, so your excuses are quite unfounded. :)

I like full moons, and your's is a nice one so keep it up with the images. I don't believe it's your last one anyway.

HTH

Captain Chaos

Great image Caz with excellent contrast. Focus looks good to me. You don't need drives either to use a toucam, just keep the moon reasonably in the field of view with the RA slo mo control. A quick visual polar alignment will do. Having said that, doesn't look like you need a toucam!

That's an excellent image of the full moon Caz

Focus looks OK.

Don't forget, images saved to the DSLR tend to be slightly 'softer' with a barlow than without. This is why your images may appear fractionally out of focus. Just sharpen then up a bit more in PS !

8)

MD

Blimey, what great comments!

Excuses unfounded? Oh well, must try harder... :salute: ...but its nice to know polar alignment is no biggy for toucams, I can breath a sigh of relief...

Focus looks OK.

Don't forget, images saved to the DSLR tend to be slightly 'softer' with a barlow than without. This is why your images may appear fractionally out of focus. Just sharpen then up a bit more in PS !

I agree, its looks OK, its not brilliant by any means, I don't have to use a barlow with the frac, it was optional, might try without one next time.

Thanks all, you have made my morning!!

well you got that sorted out Caz , mastered in a few hours ehehhhe , lovely image all over super focus and contrast , as they say no need to polar align, just point it north, pop in the toucam , focussing much easier for you then , then hit the button , run off 500 AVIs then stack and process, BINGO Lovely images , that way you have some good control in getting closer shots of the craters , good luck , so no excuses , get out there , only takes a few mins to set up , you will be surprised at your first results , TRUST ME ,

Rog :)

well you got that sorted out Caz , mastered in a few hours ehehhhe , lovely image all over super focus and contrast , as they say no need to polar align, just point it north, pop in the toucam , focussing much easier for you then , then hit the button , run off 500 AVIs then stack and process, BINGO Lovely images , that way you have some good control in getting closer shots of the craters , good luck , so no excuses , get out there , only takes a few mins to set up , you will be surprised at your first results , TRUST ME ,

Rog :)

I wouldn't say mastered Rog, more like fiddle and fumble :lol: Close up of craters.... hmmm sounds yummy, you have got me all excited now and its only 8.52am :)

Caz

That is a wonderful shot of the Moon, Caz. I'm not sure how a Hartman mask would work on the Moon. You might need to pick a bright star to focus on, then go to the Moon and leave the focus alone thereafter.

Great work!

Cheers WH, Moondog suggested a hartman mask also, and to focus on a bright star, its got to be worth a go. I haven't had the chance to make one yet!! So many things to do, so little time... :)

Caz

Get the kids to make the mask, they'll love it.

True, and it will be the only Hartman mask with curly paper hair, and glasses...

On a sad note, I just saw that your Toucam is modified, that means that polar aligning IS needed, but only for long exposures. Sorry if I was misleading you earlier.

Oh [removed word]...

Archived