Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

I don't believe in any thing anymore i don't believe there was a big bang, i don't believe in expanding universe nothing, I'm done. I have a theory, Its called the lost idiot theory, I believe everything has always been here and always will, our universe has been here forever. There might of been a space called land and it was so big nobody knew about space, but then it blew up. And jupiter and us and every thing are pieces left over and were in space. If we travel through space maybe one day will realize space isnt the last frontier! So all scientist are wrong there was no beginning, there is no end there's just forever and if we keep trying to find out what happened before the bigbang we will blow ourselves up!:)

There is certainly plenty of difficult-to-believe 'stuff' in cosmology. Some say it's because our brains are geared towards understanding the world from a particular perspective so we shouldn't expect to comprehend all the strangeness behind the what we actually experience. I suspect there's still a lot of wrinkles to iron out in current theories and we might never understand everything but some people just love trying to solve all that is mysterious.

Obviously this is a never-ending issue.

However, there are some questions that can put your theory "everything has always been here and always will" in major difficulty.

Any system is not perfectly stable, included our own Solar System or the Earth-Moon system for us or any planet. So surely, any system must come from a previous parent system. (eg. Supernova -> Solar System)

So what came before our current system? and before that? and before that?

At some point, it all has to start with a Big Bang or some sort of catastrophic event that can also explain the redshift observed in the wavelength emitted by galaxies.

Also if you say that the Universe has always been here, this almost surely includes the fact that the Universe's size is fixed. If not, surely there has to be a beginning.

And obviously the WMAP data from supernovae clearly show the rate of expansion of the Universe is accelerating.

I fear your theory comes solely from the grandness of the problem and the lack of accessible proofs in everyday life.

But I'm sure that if you would start reading some papers around the web, you'd change your mind pretty quickly. :)

We are always going to produce an anthropomorphic account of reality. Science and religion both do this. But maybe when you know to look out for it you might just be able to peep outside your anthropomorphic bubble? One of the first things to remember is that reality is not required to seem in the least reasonable to us. It can be whatever it wants to be.

Olly

"If anyone ever discovers what the universe is and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be repalced by something even more inexplicable". (Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy). Douglas naturally had his tongue firmly in his cheek, but as with all great comedy there is more than a hint of truth buried in there ... the more we discover about the universe, the greater the depth of the ignorance we realize we live in.

Do you want to wrestle with trying to do as good a job as possible of understanding "life, the Universe and everything", or are you happy to live in ignorance?

"If anyone ever discovers what the universe is and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be repalced by something even more inexplicable". (Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy").

You left out the next sentence :)

"There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

James

As a young boy I grappled with the fact that there is no end to space. I would sit for long periods of time gazing at the stars wondering how this could be so.

Whatever I imagined in the way, there was always nothing behind it. Then one day I realised that this lack of understanding was bourne out by the fact that everything we see or deal with on Earth has an ending, so how can we comprehend something that just keeps going.

Now I am crawling my way back into astronomy and the wonders of the universe and more, I am being once again amazed by the facts and figures. How easy would it have been to want this for a career if I had made a slightly different turn in life. I guess most of you have been doing this a long time now so have got used the vastness of the numbers. Me I am loving every minute of re learning after nearly 50 years.

Best regards

Chris

You left out the next sentence :)

"There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

Obvious really, the universe that trilobites struggled to understand must have been a lot less complicated than the one we're saddled with. Or, as Douglas said, "That which happens, happens."

"All of this has happened before, and it will all happen again." - Peter Pan ( or was it Battlestar Galactica ?)

Regards as life on other Planets yes there is but we are not permitted to see it

Just as we cant recall our past existence

But one day all will be revealed

Edited by brantuk

We are always going to produce an anthropomorphic account of reality. Science and religion both do this. But maybe when you know to look out for it you might just be able to peep outside your anthropomorphic bubble? One of the first things to remember is that reality is not required to seem in the least reasonable to us. It can be whatever it wants to be.

Olly

That's what I would have said......... if I could reliably spell anthropomorphic (oh I just did - but it was on the second attempt whilst looking at the word in the quote :))

Gazza

What do you mean by " we are not permitted to see it " ?

I'm not trying to get into a debate or change your views as everyone is allowed an opinion, but I'm interested in what/whom you think might be in control of what we can or can't see.

I think lost idiots should be allowed to pursue their personal belief systems in peace.

Pardon me if I don't join you in the wilderness.

I don't subscribe to half of the modern day theories on the origins of the Universe. The most senior scientists will say something often enough so the end result is that it becomes accepted as fact and that's happened since Gallileo's time. The simple answer is - they don't know. Listen carefully to any of them being interviewed, even our own Brian Cox and they say something along the lines of.."we don't exactly know how this happened"....

The new stuff they are picking up on planets and particularly solar system moons in the last few years are causing many to backtrack on theories too.

It's all good fun and we will never know the answers - there are far too many questions to get answers for and that's the fascination of it all for some.

For me, I just like looking at the stuff out there and understanding what we know is fact about the objects we see.

Over the years the view of our universe put forward by the science of the last say 70 years (hardly that modern) has been largely borne out by measurements and has been able to predict many things. Now I'm a little uncertain of the big bang and all this dark matter that was needed to balance the books but haven't there been some discoveries in the last few weeks that mean much less dark matter is needed?

In the mean time I'm following a thread elsewhere that has its premise that because Tampa Airport has had to change its runway designation by 3 degrees because of accumulated uncorrected magnetic pole variation that we are all going to hell in a handcart sometime very soon (like 2012) as the poles reverse.

Hi Frank,

Prey do tell where? Or is it MHF? Will take a look.

Regards

Chris