Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Webcam Help

Hi, I am going to buy the Philips SPC880NC soon from Morgans and was wondering what other things i would need to buy. I understand i would need the webcam, it to be flashed (to make it SPC900NC), an adapter and a filter. Is this correct?

I also understand that it is good to buy two but why ? :) And if i did buy 2, would that need all the other things?

Some people get two or three cos they intend keeping one for planetary work and another to do the electronic upgrades for long exposure so they can snap dso's or use as a cheap guide camera. A third can be used for spare if the upgrade gets screwed.

Morgans will pre-flash it for a couple extra quid - worth doing if you ain't too good with computers. An adpator is neccessary for attaching to a scope - Morgans do those on the same page as the webcam (or FLO do them too).

A lot of people also add in an IR filter for planetary stuff - a filter will also help protect the chip from dust particles :)

Hi, I am going to buy the Philips SPC880NC soon from Morgans and was wondering what other things i would need to buy. I understand i would need the webcam, it to be flashed (to make it SPC900NC), an adapter and a filter. Is this correct?

I also understand that it is good to buy two but why ? :) And if i did buy 2, would that need all the other things?

I bought the spc880, and adapter and a IR/UV filter to protect the ccd as there is no cover for the adapter. I flashed my own but if you have not got windows xp i would recommend getting it pre flashed by Morgans. I found a site that has information on how to do the long exposure mod called Philips SPC900NC uncovered which I am sure you will find if you google it. I have just bought a second camera to have a go at this.

skymax 127 goto

philips spc900

Some people do it themselves but you need to be handy with electronics and soldering. There are several mods that can be done and you can get a good idea of them from: Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions or from Steve Chambers own website (he invented the technique)

Astronomiser will mod it for you to but be warned it's expensive. :)

Archived