SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

TeleVue vs Skywatcher Barlow lenses

I'm fairly new to barlow lens. I got a 2x barlows lens with the kit that came with my first telescope but never got a clear picture out of it.

I am considering buying a barlow lens.

I have a Skywatcher Skyliner-250PX and was considering getting the Skywatcher 2x barlow lens because it is the same make and it is a reasonable price.

The other barlow lens that I have seen review here on this forum and sounds good is the TeleVue 2x barlow

My question is: is there any large difference between these two barlows. Would I be wasting my time with the Skywatcher barlow?

I am mainly going to be using the barlow with my Philips webcam to take shots of Jupiter (while its still around) and later on Saturn.

Thanks

Yes there is a large difference. The Skywatcher is not too bad while the Tele Vue is one of the very best. Other good ones at the TAL 2x (£35) and the Celestron Ultima 2x (about £80). Personally I'd prefer the TAL to the Skywatcher.

Do remember that you are doubling the magnification though and the usual caveats about max useful power still apply - the seeing conditions being usually the limiting factor !.

With webcam imaging you might need a 3x or more to get the image scale larger but that does magnify the tracking difficulties as well of course.

Archived