Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Jiggy 67

And....another newbie

Hey everyone, just wanted to say hello to you all. I'm really new to stargazing but so far I'm loving it, just need to shoot the streetlamp out that shines into my garden!!! lol. Biggest problem I'm having is finding objects, seem to have a problem recognising constellations but I'm determined to keep at it!! I've got an EXPLORER-130EM 130mm (5.1") f/900 Newtonian Reflector so I apologise, in advance, if I end up mithering for advice

Hello welcomb form another newbie have apoke ab out loads of stuff loads of info and friendly members :)

Hi mate welcome to SGL.

Look at downloading Stelarium (free) helped me out finding out what was in the sky !

Stellarium

Edited by bonefish

Hi Jiggy and welcome to SGL :)

Any questions you have please feel free to start a thread in the "Beginners Help" section and someone will be along to answer you soon. :)

Hi mate welcome to SGL.

Look at downloading Stelarium (free) helped me out finding out what was in the sky !

Stellarium

Thanks Bonefish, just had a look at that, looks really usefull

Hi Jiggy and welcome to the forum.

That street light clearly isn't going to make your stargazing easy. As suggested above, Stellarium is a useful bit of software to help you know where things ought to be.

Clear skies

James

Edited by JamesM

hi and welcome.

i'll second or is it 3rd stellarium, and possibly a compass unless you know which way your garden faces. in that case you wont be needing the compass

Hi, welcome to SGL :)

Welcome aboard.

JohnH.

Hi Jiggy, a warm welcome to the SGL forum, a pair of binos will not be out of the way at helping you to learn the night sky and the Constellations, they will become the easiest bit of grab and go kit you have :)

John.

hi jiggy them pesky street light arghhhhhhhhhhh get some plastic sheets from the local garden centre it will stop the grden from get in the light but not cure but will stop it shinning down the tube i do this