SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

autoguiding??

i have read a few tutorials on autoguiding and i just want to make sure i have got it right before i spend any money and also make sure my goto system is compatible.

first: i am thinking of getting this Guide cameras - Skywatcher Synguider Autoguider as i have a skywatcher goto scope is this compatible?(see sig) i have a meade ds2080 refractor in the shed that i would use as the guide scope(is this suitable?), so if i get this right the guide scope plugs into the handcontroller and then locks onto a nearby star and keeps this locked on to a certain pixel?

does this also mean u dont have to be so exact when polar aligning?

does the goto system still work independent of the guide camera controller??

sorry if i am asking obvious questions but i just need to be sure:)

Hi Starstalker,

I am not familiar with this stand alone guider, but I think the most important question is - does your mount have a Guide port?

As the link for the Guider was on FLO I am sure they will be able to advise you.

I would say the scope you are planning to use as a guide scope will be fine, some people even use camera lenses and finderscopes.

The GOTO system will still work fine. However once you start guiding you shouldn't touch or need to touch the hand controller any more. If you need to change the position of the scope, just switch off guiding temporarily.

does this also mean u dont have to be so exact when polar aligning

Theoretically the guiding should compensate for small PA errors, but still try to get it as good as possible.

The guide camera should have a cable which either plugs into your laptop or straught into the guide port of the mount depending on what set up you want/use.

Carole

AFAIK, the EQ5 GOTO system does have a guide port so you should be ready to go for guiding :). The GOTO works independently to the guiding, you do your alignment as normal and then get your guiding sorted.

In theory you can use any old scope for the guide scope providing you can get the camera to focus so your old Meade one should do the trick.

There are a few ways of connecting it all together as there is a few different systems, I'm not familiar with the synguider so I can't help you there but I'm sure the instructions will show you.

You will still need to get your polar alignment accurate though, otherwise with longer exposures you will get field rotation. This is more prevalent with longer focal length scopes.

I notice in your sig that you have a 8" newt, you may find the EQ5 will struggle with the scope plus camera and guiding. The general rule of thumb for imaging is to halve the mount's payload capability. IMO, I think you;d be better off with a smaller scope like an ED80.

Tony..

does this also mean u dont have to be so exact when polar aligning?

No, unfortunately, it doesn't mean that! A Polar alignment is still just as important or you will introduce field rotation to your images thus negating some of the improvements imparted by the autoguider.

does the goto system still work independent of the guide camera controller??

Yes it does but you wouldn't use the GoTo while you are guiding anyway as you would only start guiding after you had operated the Goto to locate your imaging object.

The goto system works as normal. Good polar alignment still helps, but the guiding setup sends corrections to the mount to keep the guidestar rock steady inthe same place in your field of view (or, more usually, on your camera chip). All motorised mounts have errors within the drive system, and the guiding system helps to get rid of them.

I find a QHY5 camera mounted on a Skywatcher 9x50 finderscope (working with free PHD software on a laptop) is an ideal guiding solution (see top pictures on this page). It has the advantage of not weighing much compared to a larger refractor as a guidescope.

Archived