SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Secondary mirror out :(

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should be fine Tony

It's the stuff they used to stick in cutlery boxes and on the tops of card tables

more often than not a green colour.

It's nothing special at Homebase, just was no where else to get it near to me...

Oh and yes it worked well for me because I'm surrounded by the dreaded orange lights

and some of that was leaking into and bouncing around the OTA wall.

It stopped the effects of that.

Well just had the scope out, and everything seems ok.

The moon was crisp, and an out of focus Betelgeuse was a perfect doughnut!

Seem like being slightly out isn't going to make a lot of difference.

Still can't focus on the moon with new camera though!!!

Kain

Just got back from Homebase with 2 rolls of black Alkor. You'll find it where they keep the Fabulon (remember your mum sticking that on her shelves :D ) Price.. £5.39 a roll. I also got a little tub of black matt paint for 94p. This is for the focusser which is still chromed on the outside. To be honest I wasn't going to bother until later, but after reading this thread and rechecking the collimation on my Dob this afternoon, I realised one of the 3 screws that adjust the secondary wasn't moving the mirror whilst turning. On closer inspection I realised over time it had drilled completely through into the hollow plastic chamber that supports the secondary. The other 2 wern't far behind either :shock: Anyway, I ended up gluing a wide round metal washer over the 3 burr holes. That should fix it. I then thought I'd go the whole hog and do the flocking bit too. Will start on that tomorrow.

Good luck with it :p

Oh, and thanks for the heads up on the secondary screw thingy

will keep an eye on mine 8)

Oh, and when you come to stick the flocking on, roll back a bit

of the backing, stick an edge onto the tube then slowly pull the backing from underneath

as you roll and stick the rest on.

I tried first by taking all the backing off the first piece and failed to get it on properly without

it sticking to everything it came near to.

Looked like an explosion in the Blue Peter studio :D

Dunno if this is a daft idea but I was thinking of flocking outside so the tube is already expanded when I flock. Have you had any problems of the flocking coming off over time due to expansion and contraction?

Archived