Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Ceti Alpha V

Hello Stargazers

Hello

First post to say hello and a bit about me.

I’ve always been interested in ‘space’ but that has not really gone any further than watching Sci-Fi/ documentary programmes and reading a few books. My interest was really kicked off again when the wife saw that fireball/meteor last November (it was in the news as people across the country saw it) and reminded me of the time I saw something similar about 6/7 years ago. We both decided we’d like to get a telescope and let the family look at what is up there.

My first port of call was to the local library to borrow a few astronomy books. Got a mighty tome on amateur astronomy – bit difficult to pick up (literally) but it did mention other suggested reading – Turn left at Orion and Nightwatch – I got Nightwatch and it is an easier read – I’ve also learned a couple of constellations, where the pole star is and what the ‘mini big dipper’/ seven sisters was (Pleiades), which has always fascinated me. Not much I guess, but a start. Borrowed some binoculars too which is good for the moon, although that is gone just now.

I’ve also discovered that the choice of telescopes/equipment is as vast as space itself :). So, I am taking my time and will no doubt be posting on telescopes before I make a purchase. No point rushing in.

Edited by brantuk

Hi Ceti and welcome to SGL :)

I've changed your text colour so it's visible for people to read :)

Edited by brantuk

Hi Ceti, new myself, the choice of scope is bewildering, do plenty of research before you buy and ask yourself plenty of questions about what you want from it. Making a choice isn't easy.

Welcome to the lounge.

Cheers Brantuk, I didn't notice the text colour. First lesson learnt. Visability is just as important here as it is up there.

Ta

Ceti

Hi Ceti

Do take your time and maybe visit a few local clubs, most will be happy to show you different scopes and explain what they are best at.

Which area are you from?

Hi Keith

North East Scotland - Aberdeen to be exact. So, a bit of light pollution but not too far to go for better skies. Well, except for the wonderful weather that is.

Hello Ceti,

Welcome to SGL from another newbie. The advice here is good and arrives quickly too. Best advice....do not rush into anything, read the posts, ask questions and visit a local club if possible where you will get the chance to try out a variety of scopes which is really helpful. Good luck!

Hi and welcome, Take a look at "So you want to buy a telescope" on www.astro-baby.com the author is well known on this site and it makes great reading and may help to avoid mistakes in the early stages.