Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CG5 mount as bad as I'm lead to believe?

Bellyeye

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use both the Skywatcher HEQ5 Synscan Pro and the Celestron CG5-GT Advanced Goto mounts with ASCOM via their handsets and the ASCOM Celestron driver. The Skywatcher Handset is Celestron driver compatible.

Both work with Stellarium. Both guide with PHD.

Both seem to carry the same 15kg payload.

The CG5-GT is louder when slewing but quiet when tracking in its normal mode.

Agree with everyone the CG5-GT works fine. I use it for astrophotography with a Equinox 80ED and an ST80 for guiding.

Using the ASCOM drivers it works fine with PHD Guiding. I tend not to use planetarium packages to control the scope, but use the handset.

It is noisy when slewing, but I don't find it excessive (although my wife thinks I am deaf!).

old_eyes

I know i'm coming in on this thread a bit late, but just to add that I've got the CG5 GT which is working happily with a 8" Celestron newt and an 80mm guidescope + the two cameras - it's probably on its practical limit but works absolutely fine. It's a bit noisy when slewing on the higher speeds but nothing excessive. Very sturdy and reliable. It was the best I could afford on my budget and I'm not dissapointed.

Archived