Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

There isn't much that I feel I need. A solid soul and the blood I bleed...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...It just strikes me that the proportion of chatter about equipment in comparison to passionate chatter about astronomy seems a bit skewed...

SGL is what it's members make it. It's contents reflect the questions asked and the threads started. You can influence the balance of discussion by posting on topics you would like to discuss.

If discussion is skewed in one direction or another, thats because it's members have taken it that way. If you don't like the balance you have the opportunity to redress that :)

But astronomy is a hobby where equipment can play a significant role in participation and that equipment is relatively complex and specialized so don't be surprised that it features widely in discussion.

I'm a member of 4 other astro forums and the balance of discussion on those is, if anything, more towards the equipment side than SGL :)

Very interesting comments in this thread. I'll add my 2¢ (American).

I'm probably older by a bit than most here at 69. In my life I've avoided some hobbies and indulged in others. In both the indulgence and the forbearance, I've experienced disappointment and great satisfaction depending on the activities. At my age, I've decided to indulge as many interests as I can afford (on a very meager retiree's income). Life is brief. Mine will end at the appointed hour but until then I have a God-given mind to use or abuse. I don't like the waste of non-use of any talent or the waste of not pursuing things that interest.

I had a very cheap refractor telescope of absolutely no distinction about 35 years ago. It cost very little but gave me much pleasure looking at the moon and at Jupiter. Family obligations, career, and interests in photography and cars limited my choices severely - as did very limited time to indulge hobbies. Now that I have time on my hands and see declining health and the impact of age on mental faculties, I'm determined to go kicking and screaming into that good night.

I expect to travel 8 hours round trip next week to spend the equivalent of 300GBP on a used dobsonian. It might get no use, but it might also stay the onset of Alzheimers.

... deliberately controversial post....

That's just a fancy phrase for 'trolling'. :)

No one needs to validate why they do or do not list their kit in their signature. Here's how you can solve your problem:

Control Panel/

Settings and Options/

Edit Options/

Thread Display Options/

Visible Post Elements

.... make sure "Show Signatures" is not checked

If you leave it checked and continue to complain,

it's a 'you' problem.. not an 'us' problem.

Well ,as many have already said I have my signature on to show people what I am using as they may find it helpful and interesting and because I struggle slightly to read some of them myself I deliberately made mine colourful so it would stand out. I did'nt even consider it would look a bit brash and overblown as if making out I was bragging as to what I owned. The only thing I personnaly care about on it are my objects observed lists, pretty poor by some standards on here, I wonder what some members on the forum must have seen tru the years :)

I only want to see the night sky, what ever means I have to improve that enjoyment is all the better as I will get that slightly enhaced view of the observations I make, and whether imaging or purly visually thats all that really counts for all of us

Nothing wrong in showing people what we use to make it happen :)

My sig shows some fairly expensive kit but you will also notice my Bresser 10x50 binos, cost me £25 and still warrent being shown as they are such a great starting place for beginners.

This thread and the comments in it highlights one key thing to me...

everybody is different!

Like other interests of mine, Astronomy is a broad subject with many avenues to explore.

Some want to observe while others I've spoken to are only interested in imaging. Some are intersted in the planets, others in the deep sky objects that look so unreal.

Also, relatively speaking in these times of austerity, kit seems very affordable. A few years back you couldn't buy a sensible PC for less than £1,000. Now here we all are, many of us sharing our interest, no doubt mainly using kit that cost much less. I know people on other forums who spend a staggering amount on travel, photography, knives & watches. Good luck to them!

If people have a long list of expensive, high end kit, then good luck to them! I hope they appreciate it and most importantly enjoy it. It doesn't imtimidate though it does cause a little envy :)

Who cares what is in a signature? Read the posts that interest and follow your own path.

Andy

Speaking just for myself, I find the various equipment lists in signatures informative - I will add one when I work out how to do so..

Also (and I apologise in advance for this) surely astronomy is one of the few pastimes where a glass ceiling is a definite good thing?????

Cheers

Ted

If you want to list your gear, then do so, of not, you don't have to.

As Carol says, if you are so sensitive that you find equipment lists offensive, you have the option to not see them.

As regards comments about 'bragging'.....to those who claim that this is so....who are you to decide why people have listed their gear, and then come up with some sort of negative judgement when you don't even know those people. :)

My list is there because, as I'm primarily an imager, when I post it's very important for others to see what gear I'm using. The dob is listed as it also shows that I'm a visual chap too.

I have some top notch gear, but I haven't always had it.....for many years I was a binoculars only observer, then had an old undriven Charles Frank 6 inch newt for 20 years.

Only in recent years have I been in a position to realise my dream of having a well equipped observatory of my own, and I've spent almost every penny that's come in on it.....we don't have a flash car, or loads of holidays and are far from wealthy.

Lots of my gear is secondhand....I certainly couldn't have afforded to buy it new, and will certainly be getting more, and will have no problem adding a 12 inch Ritchey Chretien to my signature when I get it....in fact, I may use flashing illuminated lettering :)

Rob

No one needs to validate why they do or do not list their kit in their signature. Here's how you can solve your problem:

Control Panel/

Settings and Options/

Edit Options/

Thread Display Options/

Visible Post Elements

.... make sure "Show Signatures" is not checked

Nail on head.

I personally quite like to see what kit other people have listed and, the fact that I was so chuffed that I had just gotten my own scope when I joined, I did the same.

Sometimes I read what members have and I honestly have no clue what it is but I can then have a bit of fun, Googling, searching here or whatever, and finding out. And yes maybe feeling a little envy but I know many people have taken years to build up their kit and I am sure they are as "chuffed" as I was, with my first, when they add a new bit. I don't believe for a minute that most members here are "bragging" they have just done, as I did, what seems to be common practice.

As has been pointed out many times on this thread too, it helps enormously to see which other members have the same kit as me. I know that's a good place to start if I want 1 to 1 help.

No one needs to validate why they do or do not list their kit in their signature.

Firstly, I don't think that is fair to descibe my posts as 'trolling'. I was looking for answers and am receiving them (thanks!). Secondly, my original point was *not* primarily about signatures. In fact, I have been convinced by the excellent responses on here that they do help people. Finally, I don't think I have once suggested that anyone else had a 'problem'. I'm really haven't been wanting to make comments about individuals but about the astronomy hobby in general. :)

SGL is what it's members make it. It's contents reflect the questions asked and the threads started. You can influence the balance of discussion by posting on topics you would like to discuss.

If discussion is skewed in one direction or another, thats because it's members have taken it that way. If you don't like the balance you have the opportunity to redress that :o

But astronomy is a hobby where equipment can play a significant role in participation and that equipment is relatively complex and specialized so don't be surprised that it features widely in discussion.

I'm a member of 4 other astro forums and the balance of discussion on those is, if anything, more towards the equipment side than SGL :)

Great post IMHO. Thanks!

It's not just kit that is listed, people (like me) also list Messier-counts, planets seen, etc. The latter can also be construed to be badges of honour, and maybe they are more so than the equipment list. Equipment can be bought, observations need to be made. There is of course an element of pride in these lists, but they also allow me to consult people who have seen considerably more than I have. By the same token, I can offer advice to people who have not yet made these observations, without the risk of being seen to teach grandmothers to suck eggs. I also like seeing progress made by others, as reported by these observation lists.

The wonderful thing about astronomy, and certainly the forum, is that it is about sharing and learning from each other.

It was a deliberately controversial post...

"Trolling

Noun

One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing disruption and argument."

Hopefully your next thread will be less controversial D:Ream..

Only in recent years have I been in a position to realise my dream of having a well equipped observatory of my own, and I've spent almost every penny that's come in on it.....we don't have a flash car, or loads of holidays and are far from wealthy.

Rob

After meeting Rob on a couple of occasions now, I can confirm his above statement.He's a right tramp :o

:) :) :)

Matt.

Didn't see the OP as a troll (I'm a dumb 'Murican) but as a critical (in the good and proper sense) assessment of things observed here. How else can one learn if not by questioning. Because one cannot read the body language or easily determine the mindset and attitude of a poster, it is wise to always be over careful when posting. I know that I've sometimes given offense unintentionally.

I enjoyed the thread D.REAM.

I have received PM's and made a lot of them as well based on sigs. I find it helpful.

In the observing reports when someone says he saw A, B or C and describes it, I can estimate what I'll be able to see or not with my gear if I know what gear they used.

I guess my current setup could be seen as a badge, but from day one I have included my gear on the sig and in the begging it was pretty modest.

I think what you spend your money on, is all a matter of priorities. Personally I like few things in life, I can pretty much resume those to travelling, astronomy and photography, in that order. As I don't plan to leave a huge bank account behind when I die, I have no problems burning all my hard earn money on those. :)

After all, what's the point of studying so many years and now working my *** off, if I don't enjoy the profits of it?

PS-> If you ever get jealous about someone's gear/car/house/etc then use it as an incentive to study/work harder so you can afford it. Has worked fine for me so far. :)

Didn't see the OP as a troll (I'm a dumb 'Murican) but as a critical (in the good and proper sense) assessment of things observed here. How else can one learn if not by questioning. Because one cannot read the body language or easily determine the mindset and attitude of a poster, it is wise to always be over careful when posting. I know that I've sometimes given offense unintentionally.

I enjoyed the thread D.REAM.

Thanks and noted. :) I enjoy lively discussion as I find that is often how I learn most. However, I realise this might not be the right context. Despite numerous caveats and clarifications I do seem to have caused offense to some which I regret.

Hey D:Ream - things can only get better! (Bet you've not heard that one before!) Anyway, there's no glass ceiling - look up it goes on forever and you make of it what you want - as for equipment listing - I'm so new to this I don't know what most the stuff listed is - BUT - it is interesting to look it up and get some ideas of what people use - especially if they've posted pictures etc

So lean back, look up and enjoy!

Understanding the 'observable' universe is probably best achieved by visiting the observation sections be it planetary, lunar etc. There are probably two main camps of equipment discussion on this forum. New people who are naturally overwhelmed at the choice of equipment and the technical distinctions and the imagers, where again the technical demands, specifications being practised will inevitably create a certain type of dialogue that has more to do with looking down than it is looking up.:) Some imagers do enjoy the 'technicalities' more than a deep knowledge of the cosmos and for me that's great because astronomy is one of those subjects that lets so many of us do our own thing and find our niche. If I ever want to do some imaging and needed to know some nuts and bolts, I would feel very confident that the response I will get will be both informative and generous and that can only happen, because those individuals have been dedicated in their endeavour. There are thousands of members here and some of them will understand and share in your particular view and your desire to improve your knowledge in the way that you want. Ultimately, the weather has an impact on our speculation and wonderment in viewing the great universe and therefore its inevitable that during those overcast moments we talk about other related matters.

Clear skies

James

Wow.

some interesting view's aired in this thread.

Personally i think kit in signatures is a good thing, as a newcomer to the lounge and astronomy in general i find it help's get rid of a few "what kit did you use for that image" questions. i know for a fact if people didn't list there kit in there signatures alot of the images that have been posted on here would of had that very question from me as my aim is to get into AP myself.

I'm sorry to say D:ream but this seams a bit like a self pity party.

Assuming you're a student living at your parents and using this site as reference, if you work a couple of months during your holidays you'll have over 1000£ available to buy whatever you want. That's the minimum wage of £4.92 per hour x 6 hours a day x 20 work days in a month.

That's probably the best advice I can give. I worked since I was 16, payed my way through college, with some help from my parents, and it did no wrong to me.

Look at it from the bright side: If you lived in Portugal, like I do, you'd have to work 3 months (instead of 2) flipping burgers at MacDonald's to make the same money. :)

The world is a tough place and the sooner you learn that and start helping yourself, the better! :)

I'm sorry to say D:ream but this seams a bit like a self pity party.

Assuming you're a student living at your parents and using this site as reference, if you work a couple of months during your holidays you'll have over 1000£ available to buy whatever you want. That's the minimum wage of £4.92 per hour x 6 hours a day x 20 work days in a month.

That's probably the best advice I can give. I worked since I was 16, payed my way through college, with some help from my parents, and it did no wrong to me.

Look at it from the bright side: If you lived in Portugal, like I do, you'd have to work 3 months (instead of 2) flipping burgers at MacDonald's to make the same money. :)

The world is a tough place and the sooner you learn that and start helping yourself, the better! :)

*Speechless*

i dont think we need to delve in too deep with respects to this question, it was a good question that was inside the whole comment (wonder if this is why some responses are a bit over analytical)

D:REAM, would you say you have the answer to the question?

Archived