SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First time, first telescope!

Candice

Hi everyone,

Well I took the plunge and purchased my first telescope :)

Was initially going to go for a Dob but eventually settled on skywatcher 130m with eq2 mount, this was the first one that appealed to me and I love it! thanks to FLO for assistance and advice on my choice.

Was concerned it would be too big and bulky for us to transport on camping trips, but its going to be just fine so Im really pleased :)

Looked through it 10 mins ago and couldnt believe the amount of stars that came into view!! dont know what I was looking at, just testing it out really, was amazing and Im really looking forward to our camping trip to get some dark sky (and clear sky I hope - its clouding over here now)

I joined the forum a few weeks back and must say this is really a great mine of information, no doubt I will have a few questions once I start using my scope more.

Thanks

Candice

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Candice and welcome to SGL :)

Look up Orion in "Stellarium" - it's prime prime viewing at the moment and very easy to make out. Your first nebula will be the Orion Nebula in the "Sword" part. Should look nice in the 25mm.

Lookout for Saturn - that's coming round in the evening quite soon. Awesome! And the Great Square of Pegasus is a good pointer to Andromeda for your first galaxy. Also try for the Beehive cluster and the Plieades. All good objects to get under your belt this time of year :)

Thanks brantuk , ags and slangers for your tips of what to look out for - blows my mind to think that I may catch a glimpse of these beauties.... nebula, andromeda! will let you know how I get on

Now Im going to watch a program I taped last night about the moon, so goodnight for now!

*high fives fellow excited newbie! x Did my first bit of star gazing last night and saw so much! ... I was basically pointing it at every bright smudgy area and focusing in! Start by looking for the Orion nebula it's pretty easy, start at the three stars on Orions belt and move south! I've also now identified a couple of other things such as the Plieades (which I previously new as the "seven sisters") they sort of look like a really mini plow .. also a couple of clusters which I was looking at last night! Litterally can't wait to bag my first planet and see the moon in all it's glory!

Welcome, I only started my hobby just before Christmas with my Skyhawk 1145p, I must have already spent 75% of my liesure time reading, learning, freezing and just having fantastic fun gazing etc... The site is brilliant, I cannot believe how patient and helpful all of the members are with giving advice.

So much to learn and so much to see... good luck with the scope!

Archived