SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dovetail

keef_uk

Even with so-called Skywatcher compatible dovetails, I've had two which were a few mm too wide to fit comfortably. Solution was to mount them sideways on in a bench vice and plane off a small amount of the bottom (narrower) edge down one side with a 1" file. It is easy as they are aluminium alloy and therefore pretty soft.

Chris

I discovered the 'vixen/SW' dovetail fitted to the Meade 5000 ED80 APO doesn't fit in the EQ6 mount 'vixen/SW' clamp. Its slightly too wide. Solution were either file off an edge (as mentioned above) or screw the scope dovetail to an actual 'vixen/SW' dovetail. I choose the latter as I could screw it to a longer dovetail to aid balancing. Another solution would have been to use scope rings on a dovetail bar.

• 7 months later...
About dovetails:

For matter of flexure, does it matter which one I choose if im doing some imaging? Is the cheapest skywatcher PS32 (33cm long) good enough?

Solid CNC bars are more solid that the standard Skywatcher item. More £'s as well of course :)

Solid CNC bars are more solid that the standard Skywatcher item. More £'s as well of course :)

Yes I keep that obvious but does it make the cheapest skywathcer dovetail bar too flimsy for 200-1200mm focal?

What I try to ask is "has someone fixed flexure setup with dovetail bar upgrade? "

Afterall 30cm bar(profiled or solid) is allways MUCH more solid than 200p Newton tube..

Yup - they're the only two types I've come across too. :)

(That's not to say there aren't others though)

Takahashi are "almost but not quite" Vixen, some Tak 'scopes (e.g. the Mewlon) also have a 'puck' adapter for the mount that's drilled like nothing else on Earth ... like everything else they make, you seem to need an expensive, out-of-stock adapter.

Archived