Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New guy looking to rise up... with aps2 eyetoy....

fariucar

Hello everyone, impressive forum you have here. well, i am sort of new to dealing with astronomy equipment, and ive been practising for months, got my first scope in july 2010, the one on my signature. ive seen quite a nuber of things, like orion nebula, jupiter, venus, pleiades... so, heres my problem, i'm quite a fan of nebulae, and, as i said, ive seen the orion nebula, but what i've seen is just the reflection of the star, the faint blue light. i wanted to see more detail, color, and whatever else there is. but the best way to do so is using a really expensive (to me) camera and take a timed exposure, or more than one and then do some editing on pc :)... so, by looking at what i have, can anyone guide me?

looking forward to an answer, and to clear skies. :)

Thanks in advance:)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Fariucar and welcome to SGL :)

To see the colours of nebulea in photographs you need either a dslr or ccd camera with the right filters and a very good mount for tracking. It can get very expensive but for a good guide I would recommend a copy of this book "Making Every Photon Count". It'll tell you everything you need to know :)

http://www.nightskyimages.co.uk/making_every_photon_count.htm

(It was written by "Steppenwolf" - moderator here so you can ask him any questions you like)

Thanks for your reply!

so, either way, im going to have to spend money? dammit... :)

i'll take a look at the book, thanks for recommending it!

i have some books, like one called wonders of the solar system, and night sky tracker, they are pretty good too.

over and out:icon_salut:

I take it you've managed to get the eyetoy working on your pc then, mate?

I know you can remove the lens and casing to get the philips nosepiece on and the ccd closer to the eyepiece but I've never used it. I have used the eyetoy on MSN, though.

yes, i have downloaded drivers for it and all... i havent opened it yet tho...:) i tried looking at jupiter tonight and it just looked awful... i have used it with msn too, in fact all the time. heh! just thought that because it has usb i could use some software to edit what i can take with it... and hopefully show more detail... high hopes indeed...

yes, i have downloaded drivers for it and all... i havent opened it yet tho...:) i tried looking at jupiter tonight and it just looked awful... i have used it with msn too, in fact all the time. heh! just thought that because it has usb i could use some software to edit what i can take with it... and hopefully show more detail... high hopes indeed...

Oh right.

There's really nothing to the inside at all, there's on board flat behind the ccd chip about the width of the casing and two long wire length on the back of the LED's to reach the front of the case. I removed them when I was still using it on the PS2 because the glows were annoying. Basically, removing the case allows you to get the nosepiece on fully but if you want to use it permanently you'd want to make a case out of two halfs of foamboard or something.

As I recall it was a very decent webcam for the time it came out, not sure how it stacks (pun intended) against the philips 880, though.

Yea, the LEDs are annoying... i did better work with my 12.1MP mobile phone, i'll upload pics soon(the moon is the only thing that i can take good pics of).. I think i'll take my chances at buying a phillips toucam or something (recommendations welcome)...

Also, i have a thing about the way the 10mm eyepiece looks, its blurry, very hard to focus, and jupiter doesnt look big enough thru it. i always use my barlow, and i also tried using the 25mm wide angle ep but jupiter is still too small... hehe!

Yea, the LEDs are annoying... i did better work with my 12.1MP mobile phone, i'll upload pics soon(the moon is the only thing that i can take good pics of).. I think i'll take my chances at buying a phillips toucam or something (recommendations welcome)...

Also, i have a thing about the way the 10mm eyepiece looks, its blurry, very hard to focus, and jupiter doesnt look big enough thru it. i always use my barlow, and i also tried using the 25mm wide angle ep but jupiter is still too small... hehe!

Recommendations? Here's mine....

Cheap Philips SPC880 webcam - 49269 - discounts & offers have them flash it to the later model or do it yourself if you know how. I didn't so paid them to do it.

The 10mm you get with skywatcher stuff is absolute garbage, it has to be said.

Recommendations? Here's mine....

Cheap Philips SPC880 webcam - 49269 - discounts & offers have them flash it to the later model or do it yourself if you know how. I didn't so paid them to do it.

The 10mm you get with skywatcher stuff is absolute garbage, it has to be said.

Lol, i know. probably a nice set of 'Plossl':D eyepieces helps?

About the phillips, by flash it to later model, u mean update the software, right?

Yes, sorry.

Here's the official SGL thread on it...

http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-lounge/113699-philips-spc880nc-now.html

I wouldn't necessarily buy a set of eyepieces just replace the 10mm and buy something in between that and the 25mm. I quite like the 25mm that came in the set, at least I've not seen anything in it I didn't like. FLO are doing a discount on celestron omni plossls...

Celestron

25% off if you type in 'Omni' into the voucher/discount code box at the checkout I believe it is. There's a thread somewhere on it on here but I can't find it.

Hope that helps.

Yes, sorry.

Here's the official SGL thread on it...

http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-lounge/113699-philips-spc880nc-now.html

I wouldn't necessarily buy a set of eyepieces just replace the 10mm and buy something in between that and the 25mm. I quite like the 25mm that came in the set, at least I've not seen anything in it I didn't like. FLO are doing a discount on celestron omni plossls...

Celestron

25% off if you type in 'Omni' into the voucher/discount code box at the checkout I believe it is. There's a thread somewhere on it on here but I can't find it.

Hope that helps.

No need to be sorry!

I appreciate the help you're giving.

yep, i like the 25mm as well, it gives a pretty clear picture, but i havent tried an eyepiece that made anything(but the moon) look big enough yet. i always see those pics on the internet, and feel jealous, but then, maybe they use pricey equipment...

Thanks for the heads up, i'll check out FLO again sometime.:)

Archived