Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Android App: Astro Panel

Shibby

Hi!

I've published a little Android app that displays an astronomy weather forecast, so if you could give it a go and let me know any feedback, I'd hugely appreciate it!

It's quite simple: As soon as you open the app, it detects your location and uses it to give you the 7Timer APanel forecast (see 7timer.y234.cn). At least, that's what it should do! :) For a key, hit the button with the little key on it.

I developed the app because I wanted something to do precisely this, but couldn't find one in the MarketPlace. It's in there now under the name "Astro Panel (Local Weather)". Hopefully you will find it useful too!

***UPDATE!***

I've now added a load of extra features:

- Extended 7Timer forecast added!

- ISS Passes added (automatically localised)!

- Layout improvements

- Styling improvements

- Support for GPS-only devices

- Support for devices with no location services (manual long/lat entry)

I hope you enjoy!

***UPDATE!***

Thanks!

post-17708-133877528258_thumb.jpg

post-17708-133877528264_thumb.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great work Lewis, that's just what I've been looking for, it will be interesting to see how accurate it is for my location. Do you have any idea where the weather info. comes from and how exactly it's calculated, eg I live in Stockport so is it a conversion of the nearest main met. data eg Manchester Airport or an amalgamation of multiple sources?

EDIT

Ahhh, just been reading http://7timer.y234.cn/misc/apanel_en_full.pdf ...it's much more sophisticated than I realised :-)

I've just released a fairly major update!

I've now included:

- Extended 7Timer forecast added!

- ISS Passes added (automatically localised)!

- Layout improvements

- Styling improvements

- Support for GPS-only devices

- Support for devices with no location services (manual long/lat entry)

See the original post for screenshots!

Please let me know any bugs or feedback.

I hope you enjoy!

Cheers,

Lewis

Shibby, great app but it doesn't display full screen on a tablet (I have the Advent Vega) and as my tablet doesn't have GPS I had to enter co-ord, but I couldn't enter -2.xxx for longitude.

keep up the coding :(

Thanks for the feedback Roger. The emulator is clearly useless because it displays full screen on that! I'll investigate further... Shouldn't have any trouble fixing the longitude issue.

Sorry, Supercharged. I don't code for Blackberry yet!

...it doesn't display full screen on a tablet (I have the Advent Vega) and as my tablet doesn't have GPS I had to enter co-ord, but I couldn't enter -2.xxx for longitude...

Published an update to enable full screen (sort of!) but more importantly, allows signed long/lat to be entered properly.

Please give it a go!

Archived