SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First light (for me and my scope!)

Httetal

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good First light had me chuckling as I've only had a Dob since October and the first few times of using I had the same issue of nudging the scope too far !!!

A bit of use and it's not a problem, don't even notice it any more. Before getting the Dob I'd thought that that would be a real pain to contend

with together with the actual navigation and star-hopping to objects.

I suppose that's why I didn't go for Dob to start with. Only real regret now is that I didn't think about getting any sort of scope 10 years ago !

Do sometimes like to 'just point and look' never quite know what you'll find.

As for navigating; the laptops now always nearby running Stellarium and Cartes du Ciel.

EPs seem very much a personal preference I noticed the difference between William Optics SWANs and Televue Radians and I now swear by the Radians,

suspect I wouldn't be saying that if I'd seen through and Ethos though.

It's real easy to buy more than you need I know I have. My budget seems to be restrained more by my concience than available finance though.

I now just tend to use a 32mm and 10mm for most things, am just plumping for an 18mm Radian to replace my WOs... there I go again more kit.

Whatever - just enjoy

A

Good First light had me chuckling as I've only had a Dob since October and the first few times of using I had the same issue of nudging the scope too far !!!

A bit of use and it's not a problem, don't even notice it any more.

A

Out of interest how tightly did you tighten the bottom screw fixing the two circular mounting plates together -I'm wondering if I've done mine too tight, I gave it a nudge last night and I nearly knocked the whole thing over before it moved!

Out of interest how tightly did you tighten the bottom screw fixing the two circular mounting plates together -I'm wondering if I've done mine too tight, I gave it a nudge last night and I nearly knocked the whole thing over before it moved!

Fortunately, for me, I bought mine second hand already constructed so didn't have to put it together, and haven't investigated the base. Mine's OK to move but is still stiff enough not to be shifted too easily. Might need a bit of trial and error during the day to get right.

A

Hi there and consider yourself lucky to have found this forum.. The peeps on here are really friendly and extremeley helpful in resolving queries and giving advice. That's even if they have given the same advice many many times before.

I had my scope before Christmas and this week I purchased some new Eps. I spent hours researching Eps... (was tempted to say 'looking into' but it's an old joke). There are many many different types and makes... so I decided to buy some bargain plossls which have improved my viewing loads! (although I have only tested them from my flat window) Goodness only knows what it must be like looking through some of those Eps that cost in excess of £100... Can't remember who said it on here but , they said if you invest in quality Eps they will be with you for life.

My advice is if you can wait and do your research defying the urge to buy something - do just that. Check out the equipment review and education threads on this site... then you can make a purchase with confidence which should mean you won't waste you money and you will take even more satisfaction with your new babies when you get them, knowing you have done your research well :).

I had my scope before Christmas and this week I purchased some new Eps. I spent hours researching Eps... (was tempted to say 'looking into' but it's an old joke). There are many many different types and makes... so I decided to buy some bargain plossls which have improved my viewing loads! (although I have only tested them from my flat window) Goodness only knows what it must be like looking through some of those Eps that cost in excess of £100... Can't remember who said it on here but , they said if you invest in quality Eps they will be with you for life.

My advice is if you can wait and do your research defying the urge to buy something - do just that. Check out the equipment review and education threads on this site... then you can make a purchase with confidence which should mean you won't waste you money and you will take even more satisfaction with your new babies when you get them, knowing you have done your research well :).

Hi Patbloke,

the research is all part of the fun, so no impulse buys from me.

Yeah! sounds to me ya got that a bit tight buddy:D

Only needs a nip up, not a wringe.

Regards Steve

Hi Swamp thing,

sounds like great advice (if only i knew what it meant!) - think I'll loosen up a little...

Thanks for the welcome to the dob club too.:)

Hi. Welcome to SGL from another newbie. I am thinking of getting a similar scope as you so your question is equally pertinent for me. It is amazing how much comment and discussion arises from a simple question and all within minutes. Enjoy your new scope!

A 2" wide field eyepiece is very useful for viewing large dso's in a big dob. This is something that a lot of newbies miss because they go for instant magnification in most cases.

Try looking at the Plieades in a 10mm-15mm 1.25" plossl and it simply won't all fit in. A 30mm-40mm wide angle ep on the other hand, will show it hanging like jewels in the sky.

Quality of glass will make a big difference. Andromeda in a 40mm WO Swan is fascinating - in a 28 Uwan even more clear - and a 30mm Panoptic wow!. Of course you have to get the numbers right with respect to focal ratio and aperture as mentioned above.

But there is significant reason for low power viewing in any setup :)

Thank you, very useful as always.

I've used a 25mm plossl on it and it doesn't fit in that either.

looks fantastic on the spotter scope though lol.

Will look into the william optics, but i remember the UWAN 2inchers being over 200 squid! ouch! lol

Archived