Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First time trying deep sky imaging!

quantum64

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm no imager by any stretch of the imagination but i have serious doubts that an image of this quality can be gotten by such means.

Correct me if i am wrong.

I honestly wouldn't know how else to take them. I did play with the contrast and balance to get the colors to show more. But I did very little.

Well done kyle a cracker, must invite my farther around with his new canon. Could you tell me what type of hair tie I should get. :) Look forward to seeing more images from you and agree with a previous comment seems your a natural. :)

Seeing images like this makes it very difficult not to go spending on new kit, would love to take images like that.

thats ridiculous.

so no subs / guiding / processing just long exposure?

What is a sub? I guided with the GoTo system. The only processing I did was with some contrast and balance in Photoshop. Would love to learn what more I can do though! :)

What is a sub? I guided with the GoTo system. The only processing I did was with some contrast and balance in Photoshop. Would love to learn what more I can do though! :)

you must of captured without it having to track in the middle of your exposure. the movement would have been massive in imaging terms and pic ruined if it had

you must of captured without it having to track in the middle of your exposure. the movement would have been massive in imaging terms and pic ruined if it had

The GoTo tracks the object I'm set on. I guess I'm not sure what you mean... :)

What are you going on about mate, this is an unguided image, only using the motors in the mount and no external guiding - its perfectly possible to get upto 2 mins doing this... :)

I'm no imager by any stretch of the imagination but i have serious doubts that an image of this quality can be gotten by such means.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Yes you're wrong, M42 is very bright and you can capture a lot of it in 30s

What are you going on about mate, this is an unguided image, only using the motors in the mount and no external guiding - its perfectly possible to get upto 2 mins doing this... :)

yes exactly. surely no movement of the scope happened while it was exposing and if it had the shot would not have been like it was?

i'm not sure but maybe quantum thinks the goto tracking was active "moving" while taking the shot surely it couldn't have been?

"guiding" is a no exposure process is it not?

i'm not sure but maybe quantum thinks the goto tracking was active "moving" while taking the shot surely it couldn't have been?

Of course it was moving. It was tracking with the RA axis at the same angular speed as the stars move across the sky.

A single 30 second shot? Wow... that beats the pants off my first effort! Well done!

Youl probably want to revisit at some point so you can mix up your exposure times to get the trapezium too, but thats going to require all sorts of photoshop jiggery pokery. Something ive not tried yet.

Oh btw: Sub = Subframe

Glossary of terms are here: http://stargazerslounge.com/glossary-terms/

yes exactly. surely no movement of the scope happened while it was exposing and if it had the shot would not have been like it was?

If you set the GoTo system to an object, like Jupiter. My telescope will follow that object until it goes over the horizon. Now, it may eventually loose the object from the field of view after a while if the polar alignment isn't perfect. But the scope moves, I can assure you. This is how I was able to do the 30 second exposure without the dragging. I had to make sure the polar alignment was perfect so that the scope was able to keep the object in the same position in the field of view.

if thats possible why bother with guiding and subs etc?

Because the mounts own tracking accuracy cant cope past about 2 mins of unguided exposures before stars start to trail and thats with a good PA. Guiding allows you to take longer exposures as the guiding setup corrects for tracking errors etc

Lets not derail this thread with this, PM me if you want to discuss further or post up a question on the forum :)

Archived