SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What a difference a power cut makes...

John P

Earlier this evening we had a power cut, affecting quite a large area around where I live. I'd been out with the binoculars about an hour before, but it took me less than 3 minutes to get back outside again!

The difference was unbelievable. I could see the Orion nebula with the naked eye, which is normally impossible from this location. Open clusters in Auriga opened up in my field of view. I even managed to easlly split the double star Dubhe in Ursa Major, normally this is a real challenge due to the light pollution.

It only lasted for about 20 minutes, but it gave me my first opportunity to really see what my 15x70's can do in dark sky conditions. They did not disappoint :)

What a treat. If it happens again and cygnus is about, look for the North America nebula and the pelican neb right next to it, near Deneb (Alpha Cygni). I saw these easily through 15 X 70's while staying at a cottage in Snowdonia. I wonder if the helix planetary neb in Aquarius could be seen that way too as it is large & v. faint.

Archived