1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

ED 80 plus Mak?

If you are thinking of using it on your existing mount then a 6" newt will be too large I fear. You might be better off looking out for a Skywatcher 130mm F/5 newtonian - that would give you a decent aperture increase, is "fast" enough to give you wide field viewing and would ride on your AZ GOTO mount OK. An alternative might be the 120mm F/5 Startravel refractor which is good for deep sky views.

I sawpped an ed80 for a mak127 last yaer. the ed80 was lovely and I have never quite loved the mak in the same way but the mak is just way way better for moon and planets. for dso's neither is up to much - th eed80 is too small and the mak focal length is too long (although it doesn't matter too much to me as my LP is so bad). the ed 80 beats the mak for nice wide field views and just for looking nice generally but that's about it.

John's suggestion of the Startravel 120 would be good for faint fuzzies. Only concern is weight, can't remember what the 120 weighs but i remember it being a solid scope and heavier than it looked.

Just found the tube weight for the Startravel 120 - 4kg. Which is only 0.9kg lighter than the Explorer 150. Better check what the mount is capable of carrying, it could be the limiting factor in your choices.