TMB Planetary II Eyepieces

Astro_Baby

I was out last night with the trusty TAL100RS. Sky conditions seems clear and likley to stay so so we hauled the TAL out to a dark(ish) sky site and gave it a spin.

I have nbeen waiting ages for a clear sky to give the two TMB Planetary II eyepieces I have a run and see what they are like.

These are the Burgess ones with black barrels - its a pretty short, snap review because we didn't have an awful lot of time.

TMB Planetary II - 9mm

Target M42 - absolutely superb. The TAL of course is not best geared for deep sky but as ever it didn't fail to impress with great nebulosity and dark zones. Trapezium easily visible and dharp. The TMB PLanetary II made the most of it and have some outstanding views. Its eye relief is spot on for me and its a well behanved EP with no apparent vices. Edge correction is ok and I couldnt see much wrong with it.

Target Jupiter - With Jupiter low on the horizon and suffering atmospheric effects any EP was going to struggle but the TMB acuitted itself as well as anythng could. I couldnt see much edge distortion as Jupiter shot across the fiels of view.

TMB Planetary II - 6mm

Target Jupiter - in occasional clear patches as the atmophere settled the gian planet gave some great moments over prolonged observing. Like the 9mm it didn't seem to suffer much edge distortion but at high powers with a jitterey atmosphere I would hate to judge it. It gave views under tough conditions that make me suspect under better conditions it would be a winner.

General construction

Both eyepieces seem well made. One of them was lacking any lube on its twist up eyecup making it tend to grate a bit - a small dab of lithium grease resolved that. The finish is about par for low cost eyepieces and maybe even a bit better. Certainly better than the Vixen Plossl I have.

End caps fit well on one and less so on the other but they are adequate for the job in hand.

Overall

Bit too early to judge on optical performance based on a single night with a scope thats pretty forgiving but I think they are likley to perform well.

As ever the TAL gave some excellent views. SOme of the best I have had in fact.

Excellent review Mel. They are a good value option.

I didn't realise they did a 10mm now Mel. That's very interesting indeed. Do you mind me asking where you got them from? I think one would fill a hole in our eyepiece collection.

Damn...sorry Russ, I meant 9mm, post suitably corrected. Got 10mm on the brain I think.

The 6 was bought off an SGL member ages ago but I forgot I had it, the 9 was a prezzy from my sis at Christmas. I assume she got it off ebay.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived