Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

MJP

Skymaster 15x70 binoculars

:icon_scratch:I have Skymaster 15x70 binoculars. I actually prefer using these to my scope. Quicker set up, lighter,easier to find targets. The problem is with looking at planets such as Jupiter and Venus. Instead of a disc (or crescent) I just get a flare with no shape. The focus seems correct as I can see Jupiter's moons as pin points of light, its just the planet that is unclear.

I can get clear views of the Moon, Orion Nebula etc. and star clusters.

Is it usual to get a problem viewing the brighter planets?

Mike

Was just playing around looking at Jupiter an hour ago with Revelation 15x70's.

I can still see 3 moons as pindots even when Jupiter itself isn't fully in focus, so I can only recommend fiddling around with the focus a bit more. I can never get Jupiter 100% in focus it seems, but pretty close enough with some slight focus tweaking.

I think this is common but maybe wrong.

Me too. I like binocular observing but getting a clean round planetary disc seems to defeat any pair I have ever tried, including Leica.

Olly

Bright objects show chromatic aberration in these bins (I have an Omegon clone). In my 80mm APO Jupiter comes to excellent focus (for that kind of money, that had better be the case :)) The bins are really great deep sky and wide field scopes, but they fail on planets. The only solution is to keep the big scope, or to get APO binoculars, but then we are talking some serious money.

Just ordered a set of Skymaster 15x70 from FLO. Hope they arrive for the weekend. Heading to Kielder on Saturday. Praying for clear sky's.

Just ordered a set of Skymaster 15x70 from FLO. Hope they arrive for the weekend. Heading to Kielder on Saturday. Praying for clear sky's.

I am sure they will FLO are very good, you probably have them now anyway :(

Lets all pray for clear-skies