Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Agony and the Ecstacy!

ROY_H

Hi everyone, time to say hello.

Please excuse typing as I'm currently sat at home with a broken arm, but at least it's given me time to browse here and finally join in.

I've had a basic interest in the skies for years and about 2 years ago bought a 'LIDL special 700/70 refractor. Came with a half-decent EQ mount and three EPs but for a long time I just played with it and thought a good view of the moon was enough, then one evening I happened to turn it onto Jupiter (finally identified it!) and was completely blown away by the view of Jupiter and FOUR MOONS, what a sight. Anyway, with retirement looming I began to research scopes (I'm a scientist by training so the research side is as much fun as the practical)/ After looking on good old e-bay I was ready to go for one of the ubiquitous China specials but reading here I began to realise it would be wise to raise my sights a bit and avoid disappointment. Now that's the ecstacy, along with buying a copy of Nightwatch and the DK Starfinder, great reads.

Now for the agony. After a lot of research I'd decided to go for a Skywatcher 200PDS with EQ5. Looked like a scope that would see me through a few years and additions but......when I went to pull the plug and buy one - none in the country!!! Everyone sold out until MARCH. Imagine the disappointment (all blamed on Skywatch Live apparently). However, whats another month or two, I'm hoping you'll confirm it'll be worth waiting for.

As an aside, I'd already purchased some GSO plossl EPs I'd seen advertised at a good price and right f/l range (I think). I've just tried them on the old Lidl scope and even on that the difference is vast over the originals.

Thanks for staying with me on this ramble and I look forward to reading loads of good advice on here ready for when I get my 'Dream Scope':hello:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Roy and welcome to SGL :)

That's a great scope you have coming. If you think the GSO's in the Lidl was good then I think you're going to be blown away by the 200P. Mind you - that arm needs to be fixed or you'll be going nowhere with it lol (get the misus to set it up for you). All the best :)

Hi Roy and welcome to SGL :)

That's a great scope you have coming. If you think the GSO's in the Lidl was good then I think you're going to be blown away by the 200P. Mind you - that arm needs to be fixed or you'll be going nowhere with it lol (or get the misus to set it up for you hehe). All the best :)

Thanks for the welcome. You're right about the arm, I gather it's a bit of a beast of a scope so no bad thing I'm having to wait.

The missus is already having to do a lot of things she didn't bargain for;)

Welcome to SGL Roy thats a great scope :)

what sites have you looked on for that scope

I'd hoped I'd made a wise choice. I think I've tried virtually every supplier I could Goggle, though one site said it had stock but won't reply to enquiries.

I contacted the company who supplied the EPs and they'll contact me when stock comes in - fingers crossed:cool:

Hi Roy and welcome. I would be very interested in what you think when you get the scope. It's the same model I'm considering at the moment. I'm using a Konus and a pair of bins to get me by at the moment until I eventually decide what to get next.

Hi Roy and welcome to the forum.

Shames about the wait but as you say, it might be a small test to make sure you are really interested. Mind you, when it does arrive it will provide a nice bit of physiotherapy for you setting it all up and then taking it all apart!:):D

Clear skies in the meantime

James

whats another month or two, I'm hoping you'll confirm it'll be worth waiting for.

Not a bad choice, if you go for anything else worthwhile you'll probably find the same backorder issue anyway. And your arm will take a while to repair itself.

Archived