Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with Jupiter

Hi All.

Having a go at imaging Jupiter.

I'm stealing kp6's idea of bodging a digicam on to an eye piece.

Not quite the same, but similar (I'll post a pic of this, it's really quite funny, later!)

Please see attached.

The focus seems way out and there is too much light?

Using setting recommended on here.

Quick Start Guide for Beginner Digital Astrophotography

Iso 400, white balance -tungsten, 10 second self timer, EV-2.0, infinity focus, 20mm plossl EP and 2x barlow.

Any help/advice please?

No cropping or editing, what you see is what I have just taken 30 mins ago.

I'm going back out shortly, the wife has just gone to get me some more batteries......

Thanks.

post-23707-133877526283_thumb.jpg

post-23707-13387752629_thumb.jpg

post-23707-133877526297_thumb.jpg

Well, returned outside with some fresh alkalines.

But after playing with settings etc results were similar.

I did take some footage, and tried to create an image with registax 5, but it looked worse!

Obviously something I'm doing wrong.

Now the clouds have come over.

I think I am targeting a object out of focus?

The Moon will be a better starter object I think, will keep trying with this method until I get better scope and camera.

Thanks Sim.

Quote here from the beginners thread, by Rowan46.

"sorry didn't see your post. as you say its way over exposed so try a shorter exposure. how long was the exposure? If you can't shorten the exposure try lowering the iso it will help. holding a camera to a scope is always going to be hit and miss its just going to be a case of practice. and a note book to remind yourself which settings have or havent worked for you. A webcam will work better on planets than a point and shoot."

Sorry, don't know how to make 'quoty'!

Anyway.

As for camera and settings.

Vivitar 7320, 7MP.

settings, ev, or exposure value - 2.0. I think it's 2 seconds?

Infinity focus.

White balance - tungsten.

ISO - 400. (max)

Timer-10 seconds +2 (this takes a shot after 10 seconds, the another 2 secs later)

For bodge modding, I took one of the EP cases (which I got with my cheap scope) and cut off one end.

A plossl 17mm fits snug inside the open end.

I then crudely taped the open ended case onto the camera.

I'll add pics soon.

I never noticed the post John, I recall you mentioned giving it a go as well.

I love the method, was considering the exact same thing with one of my eyepiece cases but couldn't bring myself to hack away at something that already serves a useful purpose.

It looks really bright, And you clearly pick up 3 of the moons, it's quite impressive. I don't know a great deal about astro-photography but I would try shortening the exposure time if it's possible, dim things a little you should be able to catch the cloud belts, In my opinion the focus is pretty much spot on.

r.e batteries, I have spent a small fortune on duracells at £3 for 4, despite being a big brand battery they don't last long in the camera.

I got lucky when I found an old uniross battery charger when cleaning out the cupboards so went to either costcutter or B&M (can't remember which) and picked up 2x AA rechargables for £1. It has saved me a small fortune in a short time!

Edit: If you run out of options you could try putting the outer cap on the front of the scope (cap splits into 2) that will reduce the amount of light entering the tube.

Thanks everyone, and thanks kp6.

Yea, got duracell ultra or something, £10 for 8!

Got ni-cads as well but don't last 5 minutes.

I think the procell batts are duracell with a different name, might get a shed load of them!

Will have another go following your advice, when, if, the skies clear and wind dies down.

.........Got ni-cads as well but don't last 5 minutes.

Sorry just jumping in here, re batteries. Don't buy Ni-cads

If you get a couple of sets of good quality NiMH rechargeables (I recommend Uniross) rated at 2,700 mAh (avoid cheapo ones and stick to 2,500mAh and above) at around £6 for 4 you will find they are as good as quality alkalines in high demand applications and you will save a fortune on batteries.

You will of course need a suitable charger and charger and high mAh batteries can often be bought as a package (Ours came from Fleabay at a very good price.) and fully charges 4 2,700 mAh batteries in about 3 hours.

I've just looked on Ebay and there are some very good charger and battery deals at the moment, just make sure the batteries included with the charger are Uniross.

Once you've gone rechargeable you'll never go back :)

Ah John,

Nice to see someone else is getting the exact same shots as me!

i've attached my attempt.

I just held my blackberry cam up to the eye piece. took a couple of attempts.

no detail, just a white blob with some moons lol. Jupiter is damn bright! I will be following this to see if some bright spark can help.

Tempted to get a baader hyperion and Tring adaptor for a DSLR.

post-21781-133877528221_thumb.jpg

Archived