Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newtonian diagonal fixing.

Newastro

Hi Folks,

I am after some advice from all you ATM'ers out there.

I have just removed my diagonal from it's old spider with a view to attaching it to it's new 3 vane curved spider mount.

Can someone tell me if there is a recognised 'best' local (i.e. in the U.K.) adhesive for this kind of job? I had a nightmare time removing it from the old mounting block and I'd like to avoid having the same problem possibly again in the future :x.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Malcolm.

I have one of those hot melt glue guns, not used it for fixing the spider vanes but I have glued my red dot finder on with it. It also just 'snaps' off usually in one piece when you want to remove it. The best thing about this glue is that it dries within a couple of seconds so you dont have to mess about trying to fix things in place to hold them until the glue sets.

Malcolm

I reckon a tube of silicone sealant from B&Q or wherever would be fine.

Put the silicone in dabs on the diagonal mount then rest a few cocktail sticks

between the pads.

Push the mirror into the silcone and then when set, remove the cocktail sticks.

This will leave a slight gap which means you can get a "tool" in to cut the silicone

should you want to remove it again.

I have heard of someone using dental floss to "saw" through the pads. :)

Hi Folks,

Are we talking about the silicone sealant used around baths and comes in a sort of gun fitting tube or the manual squeeze variety?

Also could I do the gluing the other way round i.e. add the silicone and sticks to the back of the diagonal and then place the wooden spider block onto it (gently !!) as this would make centring a little bit easier (and keep my paw prints off) or do I run a real risk of scratching the mirror?

Malcolm.

Malcolm

Mine was in a "gun" tube, about £3-50 ish... just make sure it's silicone

and not a look alike, it will say on the tube.

As for glueing the other way, can't see a problem with that if you lay

the mirror down on soft tissue or some such and try not to move it much

as you do the operation. :)

Hi Folks,

Well I've attached the diagonal with the silicone and all went OK except that I used a pad of loo roll to do the job on and had a diagonal covered in something after the silicone had set.... rats! I think my better half has taken to buying the stuff with aloe vera on it :shock: . I removed it by wiping the diagonal with pure cotton wool and absolute alcohol (let's see her remove her makeup now!), this seemed to leave a nice clean and undamaged surface.

Of all the things that I thought would or could go wrong, this wasn't one of them, oh well we live and learn.

Malcolm.

Archived