Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Guardian list of UK dark skies sites

old_eyes

I'm in Berkshire. It's too close to London for any dark skies. And Reading and Slough pumping even more light up there. Though apparently around Henley it's supposed to be not too bad...

I'm tempted to invest in a selection of narrowband filters. It's going to be more or less the only way I get to 'see' anything from my location :)

I can see the moon and Jupiter and a few stars. Fortunately I can barely see Polaris so I am at least able to align.

My in-laws have a beautiful garden in the Hampshire countryside with relatively dark skies that, on occasion, shows the milky way. Once I know what I'm doing I'll be making regular trips there, I think!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In an article about the announcement of Sark as the world's first 'dark-skies island', the Guardian published this morning a list of "the best places to see stars in Britain":
  • Sark
  • Kielder forest, Northumberland
  • Galloway forest, Scotland
  • Kelling heath, Norfolk
  • Stonehenge, Wiltshire
  • Wenlock Edge, Shropshire
  • Winsford Hill, Somerset
  • Mam Tor, Derbyshire
  • Black Down, Sussex
  • Knighton, Powys
  • Penbryn Beach, Ceredigion

A couple of those are accessible to me. Anyone have a longer list or want to agree or disagree with this list?

old_eyes

Two huge omissions - North Devon and the Higlands and Islands of Scotland.

I suspect Wenlock Edge and Mam Tor are there by virtue of being the nearest dark sites to major conurbations.

Even at Kielder, you can still see faint light domes from Newcastle and Carlisle, I don't think there's anywhere in this country you could call truly "dark".

Two huge omissions - North Devon and the Higlands and Islands of Scotland.

Winsford Hill is on Exmoor, barely three miles from the north Devon border with Somerset. They didn't miss it by *that* much.

James

North Wales gets no mention Surprised there as we have plenty as you get in land

Knighton, Powys is in mid-wales;)

So which would you pick in North Wales? As I live in North-East Wales I would be interested in your favourites.

old_eyes

I'm in Berkshire. It's too close to London for any dark skies. And Reading and Slough pumping even more light up there. Though apparently around Henley it's supposed to be not too bad...

My opinion is your best bet is between Reading and Wallingford, there are some spots around there which get pretty dark.

Knighton, Powys is in mid-wales;)

So which would you pick in North Wales? As I live in North-East Wales I would be interested in your favourites.

old_eyes

Top of snowdon is good :)

I have a very nice site nr to Ruthin

In an article about the announcement of Sark as the world's first 'dark-skies island', the Guardian published this morning a list of "the best places to see stars in Britain":
  • Sark
  • Kielder forest, Northumberland
  • Galloway forest, Scotland
  • Kelling heath, Norfolk
  • Stonehenge, Wiltshire
  • Wenlock Edge, Shropshire
  • Winsford Hill, Somerset
  • Mam Tor, Derbyshire
  • Black Down, Sussex
  • Knighton, Powys
  • Penbryn Beach, Ceredigion

I made some 'light pollution maps' of the above sites. Note- these are all at the same scale with the area of interest at dead centre (unless arrowed).

Black Down, Sussex

BLACKDOWNSUSSEXLIGHTPOLLUTIONMAP.jpg

Winsford Hill, Exmoor

WINSFORDHILLLIGHTPOLLUTIONMAP.jpg

Wenlock Edge, Shropshire

WENLOCKEDGELIGHTPOLLUTION.jpg

Stonehenge

STONEHENGELIGHTPOLLUTIONMAP.jpg

Penbryn Beach

PENBRYNBEACHCEREDIGIONLIGHTPOLLUTIONMAP.jpg

Mam Tor, Derbyshire

MAMTORDERBYSHIRELIGHTPOLLUTIONMAP.jpg

Knighton Powys

KNIGHTONLIGHTPOLLUTION.jpg

Kielder Forest

KIELDERFORESTLIGHTPOLLUTIONMAP.jpg

Kelling Heath, Norfolk

KELLINGHEATHLIGHTPOLLUTIONMAP.jpg

Galloway Forest

GALLOWAYFORESTLIGHTPOLLUTIONMAP.jpg

Not mentioned- but my recomedation, Elan Valley Powys

ELANVALLEYLIGHTPOLLUTIONMAP.jpg

As you can see there are some striking differences in light pollution levels amongst these site. In general though- avoid populated regions!!

wow ^ please can you do one of Farnborough/Farnham/Basingstoke/Aldershot or tell us how you did those? :)

Made using the AVEX light pollution maps with Google Earth overlay

http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/pl/uk/index.html

This is a fully zoomable map- which is why I need to keep each area at the same scale for a direct comparison.

Those are excellent maps, and very interesting, too. Thank you for posting them.

I'm just outside Brompton Ralph which appears towards the top right of the Winsford Hill map (between the somewhat larger "blobs" for Wiveliscombe to the south and Watchet to the north), though I'm actually about a mile to the south-east of it. The village itself can't be more than a dozen and a half houses and I'd never have believed it might show up on an LP map. It's not even as if it has any streetlights or other illuminated street "furniture". I can't remember if they illuminate the church. I'll have to check next time I'm over there.

Some of the other maps are quite shocking. Perhaps I've been living in the country too long :)

James

Laser_jock99 you are a star!

I'm just checking the http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/pl/uk/index.html site out right now, as had not come across it before.

I'm fortunate enough (for me) to drive around the UK on a regular basis from just south of Birmingham (poor-ish sky, but we make do with what we have....) to places like Snowdonia, East Anglia (I was in Cambridgeshire this week), Scotland, Devon etc. and am always comparing the skies visually.

Just reseaching now a portable Dob. to keep in the back of the car for such journeys.....so I can divert to a suitable place....set-up in a few minutes and just enjoy the sky for an hour and then drive on.....so will see how I can use this nakedeye UK light pollution map to plan my route.

Cheers

Mike

This is a fully zoomable map- which is why I need to keep each area at the same scale for a direct comparison.

Thanks for the link and work in picking out the areas. Now working my way through possible dark sky sites conveneient to me.

Enjoyed your photos a lot. Nice rig with a history to tell I would think :)

old_eyes

Interesting - I use the avex maps regularly (mainly to plan my holidays in France!) but they differ widely from the Phillips and CfDS maps. When I referred to North Devon I was thinking of the area bordering Cornwall not Somerset:

UK Dark Sky Map

They don't fare so well on the Avex map!

When I referred to North Devon I was thinking of the area bordering Cornwall not Somerset

Ahhh. I always think of that as west Devon. Geography's quite a fluid thing as far as I'm concerned though.

James

• 1 month later...

Archived