SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Kelling Heath (Spring 2011) Chat Thread

brantuk

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hubby and I will probably drop in on Saturday evening. Our daughter will be having a 'sleepover' at Nanny's that night so we can stay late and hopefully get to look through a few scopes. I'm really looking forward to it.

Out of interest, what happens if it's overcast the whole weekend? I guess it's just 'one of those things'?

Not sure how I feel, excited, yes & no........apprehensive definitely. The weather seems to have managed to keep me away from observing for most of last year. Last night was the first time in what feels like an age the sky remained clear long enough for me to set up my newt as the moon was well placed & interesting ie not full.

Apprehensive in the respect to weather......will it wont it etc.

...five weeks or so to go now!

My scope and mount should be arriving next week.. so I have a clear month to (hopefully) get to grips with how it all works.

Based on the last four weeks, I've worked out the statistical chances of having even one clear night during the three days I'll be at Kelling are 9/1 against... but on the slim chance there is a clear night whilst I'm there... I'm hoping to do imaging sessions on at least a couple of DSO targets... maybe 2hrs or so on each.

Still seeking advice on what will be visible and within the grasp of my set-up (80ED Pro with a modded Eos350D or an unmodded 20D on an HEQ5-Pro unguided) but hopefully I can catch something feint and whispy up there :-)

Anyone got experience of imaging at the spring Kelling Heath event? Any advice on DSO targets that will be visible and not too obscured by trees etc there at that time of year?

Now I need to sort out my camping gear :-)

Ben

Well Ben - I reckon it will be prime time for Saturn, plus I want to get some snaps of M51 and M31. Dunno if M42 will be there but I'd love a crack at the Horsehead too though it might be a spot ambitious for me at the moment :)

.....yeah, galaxies may be worth a stab... though I fear may be a little small and feint for an 80mm scope and unguided subs of 2mins max :-(

M42/43, the horsehead and flame would all be great... figured Orion would be too close to the horizon though, and looking back inland... so perhaps harder to grab? I may have to wait for the Sept star party to do M42 justice. May have learnt how to use the scope by then :-)

I'm just praying for good weather now... long term forecasts put the end of March and early April as being a LOT better than we've had of late... hope they're right!!!

Ben

So, as we know the weather is going to be brilliant (positive thinking) and I am getting my target list prepared.

Looking back in my log book for last year at Kelling, I managed to observe more than 40 galaxies! Highlights of which were:-

M64 the Black Eye galaxy.

M51 the Whirlpool, my best view ever of that.

NGC 4490/4485 interacting galaxies were a great view, also known as the Cocoon Galaxy.

Also I was pleased to finally track down NGC 2419 The Intergalactic Wanderer, a distant globular cluster.

So far, my targets for this year are:-

NGC 2371/2372 The Peanut. Planetary

NGC 4038/4039 Antennae Galaxies

Abell12. A planetary very close to mu Orionis, which should still be high enough to get a good chance to view.

Also there might be a chance to glimpse Mercury, which I did last year. It will be about 10 degrees above the horizon after sunset.

Hey Ben - you're lucky with the 80mm - I'll only be using a 72mm frac lol :)

Great list Phil - might even try some of those myself :o

Frankie - that would be no problem at all. The event is open to the public on the main weekend with free entry - you can check out the trade stands during the day and walk round the scope fields looking at kit. Make friends with a few campers and you're sure to get an invite to come back after dark and have a look. Take a meal in the bar in between - just remember the dim red torches :(

Absolutely Ben - plus there's plenty to do in the afternoon and lots to look at. If they arrive after dark then they'll be stumbling round trying to make friends with people you can't even see lol - very dodgey if you ask me :rolleyes:

Archived