Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Kelling Heath (Spring 2011) Chat Thread

brantuk

...cheers, that's what I thought. Will aim to bring the gazeebo then.

There's food/drink available on site isn't there? Just trying to work out what other camping gear I need for a couple of days. Don't have a camping stove and would prefer to avoid bringing one if I can :-)

Ben

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's two bars that serve pub food all day, a restaurant, and a takeaway or eat in pizza. Also a well equipped shop for food and camping items (pegs, guy ropes, etc) where you can also get cashback (all on site).

And the small town of Holt with all usual facilities/shops is only a few miles down the road too. :)

I have 2 dogs, Just wondering if the dogs was allowed to come? I have already booked kennels for them. So the dogs won't be going. I don't think its allowed due to maybe barkings? or knocking stuff over.

Also another question, Laptop. It's seem to be bright white especially when it boots up and load windows. So what's the best advice to do with a laptop.

Oh forgot to add my pitch is Red T331, Who is on 330 and 332?

Just my wife and I are going. with XT 8" Classic DoB.

Good to see you're both coming Lurker :)

They do allow dogs - I've seen one or two there at star parties. But check the Kelling link in my opening post for their full "dog policy" - they probably have rules on "control" and "soiling" and maybe even a specific "dog run".

Laptops are best shielded so as not to ruin "dark adaption" of others. It's etiquette to turn them away from general view, and shield with red cellophane or acetate. I put mine on a table with a large cardboard box around it or keep in the tent. You can also get free software that turns the screen into a red night mode.

I'll dig out a couple of links for you and edit in here :)

Ok here's some night mode software:

http://www.aquiladigital.us/darkadapted/

And this is APT for running a camera which has a night mode setting:

http://www.ideiki.com/astro/

(also Stellarium has a night mode if I remember right)

Cheers, I will have a look on the website about dogs policy.

I can only find this

" Can I bring pets, are they allowed in Woodland Lodges and Luxury Holiday Homes?

We do not allow any pets in our luxury holiday homes or lodges but pets are allowed on the Red Squirrel touring area "

Doesn't say any specfic rules?

That looks like that's the only rule then, which leaves you free to bring them :)

We had this delightful little chap stay next door to us one year. Dead cheeky and mischievous but very obedient:

666c1be989f0400500e08fc773c4a618_8802.jpg?dl=1296735889

The mallet was for banging in his tethering post - not for "dog control" lol

Well just booked up for my first spring star party, it was a hard choice as i wanted to go to SGL6 as well, but kelling won, as i have been here so many times in September and know my way around, maybe next year i will do SGL7????

Anyway i am on 310 and am there from Thursday 31st and well be leaving on the Sunday, now i am counting the weeks and can't wait, see you all there.

Ahhh Nice to see you at last Skywatcher lol :)

Yes - we were torn over SGL6 for spring but been through a lot recently so decided to stick with what we know for the time being. SGL7's a target though for next yr. And you're just across the road from us this time which'll be great :)

Hi Brantuk,

Great thread, thanks. As a total Starparty "Virgin" LOL, what's the craic with the different colours of field? Heard somewhere that there's a kind of protocol or some such whereby newbies start on one field and gradually work up to the best site?

Or is that not the case?

I'm thinking of visiting in the daytime to get the feel of the event for the first time..it's an area that my wife and I love, with Holt, Cley, Weybourne etc all favoured walking haunts, and I have an in law in Norfolk, so I should be able to persuade my dear other half to come along with me :-).

Stupid, stupid question...when is the event and how do I get directions??

Thanks!

Dave

Stupid, stupid question...when is the event and how do I get directions??

Thanks!

Dave

Hi dave

there is a link at the begining of the thread for kelling heath, and the main weekend is the very start of april, but as you have read, some people make it a longer affair. If you are using a satnav, i put in the town of weybourne, and the road name is sandy lane, hope this is of some help!

Hi Dave - good to know you're dropping by. If it's just a day trip recce, then I'd suggest the main w/e (see link in first post). Arrive on the Sat when the trade stands are there and you might pick up a bargain.

Bring a grab and go scope and blankets with you just in case you decide to stop late into the night (even binocs are a good idea) the skies are worth it when clear. We slept in the car park on our first recce.

There's no protocol but the best pitches go first on Red and Yellow (usually well in advance), then Blue last. Newbies tend not to know this so they allways end up late booking on Blue. Red/Yellow are mostly clear of trees and Blue whilst useable, has quite a few trees.

Skywatcher got your other question (thanks SW).

Look forward to seeing you there :)

I'm on pitch T324 in the Red area, with a few members of my local astro group in adjacent pitches.

I'm making a note of all your pitch numbers guys, so I can come and say hello. Stopping Thursday 31st to Monday 4th

My target list is a choice of the following, haven;t decided which as yet:

Crab M1 8.15 - 10.pm

M81/M82 High

Leo triplet

Rosette nebula NGC 2244

M101 Pinwheel

Markarian Chain NGC 4374

Saturn 35 degrees SE (at opposition)

M51 Whirlpool galaxy

M13 (after 11pm)

NA nebula NGC7000 (Early hours)

Ring nebula M57 (early hours)

Carole

...so, who else just noticed Kelling Heath get mentioned on the One Show? :-)

They were doing a piece on dark skies and mentioned a few dark sites whilst showing some amateur images... one was listed as having been taken at Kelling Heath... big broad field shot of the Milky Way... dunno who took it?

Anyway, thought I'd mention it, my wife jumped when I suddenly shouted "That's where I'm going!" :-)

Ben

Lol Ben - Yep Kellings been on TV before. A few years ago the BBC did a half hour article at the Autumn equinox about star gazing - funny watching the reporter stumbling round in the dark through night vision cameras lol. I missed it tonight though - busy watching Cairo :(

Archived