Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Look at the size of that thing......

Bit late in posting this photo of me and my Celestron C10-NGT but ..... Also thought you might like close-up of my new Low Profile Crayford focuser and Celestron 8-24mm Zoom eyepiece :(

Nice "big gun". The zoom EP is quite modest, when compared to the Speers-Waler zoom seen here with the powermate: http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/105720-pwermate-extreme-combination.html

:o

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The two most common (and diametrically opposite) comments I've seen from new people are:

- why does that planet look so small???

- why does my scope look so big???

Lol :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks so much for this thread, as a complete newbie still trying to choose my first scope this has given me enough information to keep me undecided for another few months!! I was having difficulty choosing between skywatcher 200p or 250px but now I've completely ruled out the 250 and considering others too! Arggh, I'll never buy a scope at this rate, I just can't decide!!

great thread.

I think i am going to go into a shop and have alook at the real sizes. I don't think i will have any space for all the kit i thought i might get. Guess it is back to the drawing boards if it doesnt fit

thanks for the pics

• 4 weeks later...

Hawker......

my sentiments exactly, a must-do before I buy a bigger 'scope. Trouble being..... my nearest shop is about 110 miles up the road. :) I will visit though but I just need to find the time off to drive there.

Although this thread is a great help and one I keep revisiting!

Good luck with your search, if you're like me (and I wouldn't wish that upon you :)) you'll be searching and researching until next October!

been researching for a while and have now got a Heq5 pro and a ED80 with guide scope and synguider....as we approach the longest day i can't see much time to use it for now. Timing is clearly of the essence and have done it upside down!

• 1 month later...

guys, THANK YOU ! seeing JamesT with his C10, my heart just exploded !!! that's going to be my "baby" soon. you cant imagine the good feeling that this kinda "sharings' bring to a newbie ! i started with fear in my heart that bying a telescope will be a waste a money..but i endup waking up in the middle of the night and going on the balcony and watch the sky. now i realised that is something that i want, i "dream" every night seeing my first telescope...and after seeing James's pic of it ! OMG ! sorry if i sound overexcited, but i cant help it !

THANK YOU ALL !

PS: sorry if i am missing some letters, english is not my 1st language, but 2/3 :))

Good post. I had my eye on a Celestron CPC 800 and was at the point of buying it when I thought I had better go and see it. As soon as I lifted it I knew it was the wrong scope, no matter how much I wanted it. Even more annoyingly, a nearly new one went for £800 on eBay.

It was not so much the weight but the ease of carrying and maneuvering.

I settled for a Skywatcher 250 Synscan flextube. The base is almost if not heavier than the Celestron but its design makes it much more manageable.

You also need to consider how "portable" you want it to be. The best scope is one you use.

Simon

• 1 month later...

Wanted to say this is a great thread, really helps get an idea of the sizes of various scopes (especially for newbies like me!). I had an Explorer 130 on an EQ mount but sold it and bought a 70mm refractor as I thought it would be more suitable for me (more portable etc) - but have realised that I've made a mistake and would like to go back to a bigger scope :smiley:

Am debating between another Explorer 130 or a Skyliner 150P Dob but can't make my mind up - like the idea of more aperture and a simple mount but on the other hand after finally working out how EQ mounts work am not sure I'd like to lose the benefits of having one...decisions decisions

In hindsight I probably should have done more research before I bought my Orion XT8 intellescope in April. Was shocked by the actual size of it built up and very quickly realised that I could not live with something so big in my very small house, so sent it back. I am now very happy with my Celestron 127 SLT mak. I do know that it isn't as powerful as the Orion, but that is a trade off I am willing to accept given the fact that at least it will be used as I can transport it in the back of my car to dark skies or just into my back garden. I have read on SGL that the best scope you can get is the one you will use most often and for me compactness, portability and ease of set-up are high priorities.

Good post. I had my eye on a Celestron CPC 800 and was at the point of buying it when I thought I had better go and see it. As soon as I lifted it I knew it was the wrong scope, no matter how much I wanted it. Even more annoyingly, a nearly new one went for £800 on eBay.

It was not so much the weight but the ease of carrying and maneuvering.

I settled for a Skywatcher 250 Synscan flextube. The base is almost if not heavier than the Celestron but its design makes it much more manageable.

You also need to consider how "portable" you want it to be. The best scope is one you use.

Simon

Curious, I have always considered my GP C8 very portable, much more so than a newt. The OTA only weighs in at 4.7 kg, but the difference is that you just carry the OTA, and set it on the mount (which comes apart into very manageable pieces). Is the CPC fork so heavy?

• 4 months later...

This is me, with a nice cheesy smile, next to my 200p on an HEQ5. I was amazed at how big it was. To the left of the picture you can see the other scope I used before I got this one. That was definatly a grab&go however Im not sure on the 200p :)

post-29680-133877708588_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived