Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Fringe Killer Filter

southernman

I consider these to be pretty much a "Must have" on achro refractors and I had one on my 102mm f/10. It worked well enough that I left it permanently on the diagonal. It did give a slight yellow cast to the view but I didn't find this at all intrusive and it seemed to actually enhance planetary contrast.

Previously, I had the Contrast Booster which I did find too aggressive, but the Fringe Killer is just right.

I had one of these for my ST80 clone, it worked really well. I found the colour cast from the Contrast Booster to be too much. I ended up using a Semi APO filter more though (I was imaging), as that produced less of a colour cast, dealt with a lot of the CA, but not being as effective, still left some there.

Another vote for the semi-apo filter. I find it takes away a fair amount of CA on my Meade 6" f8 without changing the view in any other noticeable way. I've not owned any of the alternatives so can't give an objective comparison to the fringe killer.

• 4 weeks later...

The Contrast Booster actually works quite well on planets even in scopes which are free of chromatic aberration - there's something about the transmission that makes it good for Mars in particular (sort of minus green, yellow & violet). The Fringe Killer is a plain minus violet filter and as such is very useful for cleaning up the image in achromatic refractors with too short a focal ratio ... but won't be at all helpful in scopes with minimal or no chromatic aberration.

Any idea how well it would work in an f9 refractor?

I'm thinking of getting a Meade 152ED and from experience with a 102 ED of the same vintage, found that violet fringing is quite evident.

Spectacular contrast though. Great lunar/ planetary scope.

I'm thinking of getting a Meade 152ED and from experience with a 102 ED of the same vintage, found that violet fringing is quite evident.

A 102mm f/9 ED doublet should have practically no visible fringing ... it will have "blue bloat" for imaging. 152mm f/9 doublet will definitely benefit from a "fringe killer" even with ED glass.

Spectacular contrast though. Great lunar/ planetary scope.

Have you thought about an Aries Chromacor for the Meade ED 152 ?. I use on on my Meade AR6 F/8 achro and the effects are quite dramatic - near-ED levels of CA on the lunar limb and none detectable on Jupiter and Saturn.

They can be difficult to source (used only now) and are more expensive than filters but I would have thought a correctly matching Chromacor used with the ED152 would create a very special scope indeed :)

I believe that the Baader Fringe Killer filter reduces CA by around 20%-30% as much as a Chromacor does so the latter does have signficiantly more impact.

Just a thought :(

Have you thought about an Aries Chromacor for the Meade ED 152 ?. I use on on my Meade AR6 F/8 achro and the effects are quite dramatic - near-ED levels of CA on the lunar limb and none detectable on Jupiter and Saturn.

They can be difficult to source (used only now) and are more expensive than filters but I would have thought a correctly matching Chromacor used with the ED152 would create a very special scope indeed :)

I believe that the Baader Fringe Killer filter reduces CA by around 20%-30% as much as a Chromacor does so the latter does have signficiantly more impact.

Just a thought :(

Thanks for that.

However I just "Googled" it and came up with nada - used or otherwise in this neck of the woods. ;)

Thanks for that.

However I just "Googled" it and came up with nada - used or otherwise in this neck of the woods. :)

They are rather scarce I'm afraid although, after seeing none for ages, I've seen 3 for sale in the past 12 months, two of which I bought (one now sold alas) and the other is being sold with a matched Skywatcher 6" F/8 on Astro Buy & Sell at the moment for £400.

Archived