SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Finder mounting

I have a 6x30 straight-through finder on my telescope which is useful but there are times when a larger, right angle finder would be helpful. It would be a bit of a luxury on my setup and for that reason it's not a priority. But, I saw a nice one on ebay and put in a modest bid. To my surprise I now have it, it's a University Optics 10x60. The question is how to mount it best. It has a pair of three-point rings but I have to decide what to attach them to. There are several options:

[1] On a dovetail bar/clamp fixed to the main tube. This will require quite a lot of hardware but it is quite elegant - the finder will rotate with the tube so it will always be in a usable position, and it will be easy to attach/detach.

[2] On a pair of additional tube rings. A lower cost and perhaps more flexible version of [1] that won't require any drilling.

[3] Directly on the existing tube rings. This is the easiest way, it will require little additional hardware, but the finder will not rotate with the tube.

Obviously I don't want the finder to end up in an unusable position when I rotate the main tube. But if I do [3] and place the finder directly opposite the mount I think it may work out, and the weight of the finder will always be at a constant distance from the mount axis so the balance will not be upset if I rotate the telescope tube (not that this finder is particularly heavy, this may not be an issue).

I'm leaning towards [2], or maybe [3]. I've googled this and come to no conclusion. Before I start drilling holes, any thoughts?

Thanks for finding that, it's a very tidy solution, much easier than a dovetail + clamp etc. But my existing finder has a custom mount which is not interchangeable with anything else. So this would still need to be mounted somewhere. It's a possibility but I may need a tube ring or two.

Archived