Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

thunderbird

Is it always like this

Hi , First post here so be kind ;)

I decided to get into astronomy as I realised that I wouldnt need to spend thousands on pounds on a telescope . So armed with a star chart and a set of binoculars I have decided to explore the night sky. Everynight for the last 2 weeks I've looked up but seen nothing but cloud. Is this normal for this time of year , or is it just my luck ?

Cheers

Ye sadly the cloud is a bit of a swine!!! It's very unpredictable so you're just going to have to keep checking!!!

I feel your pain, i've had about 3 decent clear nights since Christmas!!

Tell me about it! I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago, and have barely been able to get out for a look.

Although last night was very productive. Got to see great detail on Jupiter, Orion Nebula, and got a really good look at pleiades. Plus i saw andromeda! Tricky to see cos seemed like everyone in my street felt the need to have their outside lights on.

Well clouds allways come with new telescope purchases, and we all know who to blame for getting millions of people to take up astronomy and buy new scopes recently ... Brian Cox! lol ;)

In the the UK yes more often than not I'm afraid, atleast you haven't got £100's or even £1000's worth of equipment sitting idle. Bins and a star chart is a great way to start, keep an eye on the sky and at the slightest hint of a gap in the clouds you can be out observing.

{I decided to get into astronomy as I realised that I wouldnt need to spend thousands on pounds on a telescope . So armed with a star chart and a set of binoculars I have decided to explore the night sky. }

Well done!l It's a good start. Don't go spending on equipment that is

ott. You'll be lucky to get more than a few days a month to view.

It takes time and patience, there's no quick fix, but you'll end up wiser and not poorer!